No announcement yet.

Super Pi : Linux vs Windows ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed I am referring to actual benchmarks as opposed to synthetic.

I would also like someone, preferably, deanjo to find an application for Linux or compatible with Windows7 that is a 32 bit application that utilizes more than 2 processors simultaneously. I do not believe you will have much success in that regard. If memory serves me, I do not believe you would be able to find any applications for windows that will use more than 2 processors simultaneously that are 32 bit applications. If you find one let me know please. I'll be happy to test that it can use more than 2 processor cores simultaneously and correct my earlier post related to 32bit vs 64bit multi threading capabilities.

64 bit is an entirely different matter. There are many applications written for 64 bit that have correct multi threading capabilities. Though not nearly as many as I would hope there to be at this stage of 64 bit hardware availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar07 View Post
      Indeed I am referring to actual benchmarks as opposed to synthetic.

I would also like someone, preferably, deanjo to find an application for Linux or compatible with Windows7 that is a 32 bit application that utilizes more than 2 processors simultaneously. I do not believe you will have much success in that regard. If memory serves me, I do not believe you would be able to find any applications for windows that will use more than 2 processors simultaneously that are 32 bit applications. If you find one let me know please. I'll be happy to test that it can use more than 2 processor cores simultaneously and correct my earlier post related to 32bit vs 64bit multi threading capabilities.

64 bit is an entirely different matter. There are many applications written for 64 bit that have correct multi threading capabilities. Though not nearly as many as I would hope there to be at this stage of 64 bit hardware availability.
      LMAO seriously, umm lets try 3ds max, maya, tones of encoding apps, photoshop, divx, lame-mt, etc etc etc.

32-bit has nothing to do with being multithreaded.

Comment

More winrar, 7-zip, mysql, and here is a small list found here:

Comment

Yes and no. 32 bit in and of itself does not require multi threading to be turned off. Mostly it has to do with the lack of backwards revision. Most organizations and people that create code do not go back and update the 32 bit version when they are only going forward with the 64 bit version. So if they were working on 64 bit code when they learned how to make their code multi thread for more than 2 cores, they typically don't go back and update the 32 bit version.

Maya 32 bit does not use more than 2 cores simultaneously. I do not have a copy of 3ds max installed to test with. Photoshop 32 bit does not use more than 2 cores in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit or XP Pro 64 bit. DivX players do not use more than 2 cores when 32 bit on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, XP Pro 64 bit. Not sure about the licensed compiler version of DivX. I do know the 64 bit Beta for Adobe Flash plugin does not use more than 2 cores simultaneously.

So in theory you are accurate that just because something is 32 bit or 64 bit does not indicate it will or will not multi-thread correctly.

Where the rubber meets the road, find a 32 bit application that I can download and test, preferably part of the standard linux distro, that can use more than 2 cores at once.

Super-pi in the rendition of Phoronix-Test-Suite does not use 2 cores simultaneously. It does alternate between 2 different cores, but uses only 1 core at a time. Cores 0 and 2 were untouched. Cores 1 and 3 were alternated.

Comment

I'll test a few of those and see if I get results that work with more than 2 cores simultaneously.

Comment

Maya, 3dsmax, photoshop 32-bit all do use multithread quite nicely. You are probably not using filters, plugin's, etc, that really don't need multi-thread. Even look at some thing like CoreAVC which is a h264 decoder that is most definiately threaded. There are literally hundreds of multithreaded apps out there in 32-bit form. Another excellent example is handbrake.

As far as the "switched to 64 bit so they don't update 32" well that is a bunch of bubkus, since 32-bit and 64-bit have NO bearing if a app is multithreaded or not. I have been happily enjoying the experiences of multithreaded apps since I first got a dual cpu celeron system over a decade ago and at that time there was only 32-bit windows.

Comment

So far none of the applications you've suggested or at denniskarlson.com have used 4 processors simultaneously.

Though I do know that Apache compiles with more than 2 processor cores on a 64 bit Linux platform. 32 bit results to follow presently.

Comment

Found ONE so far.

Apache 2.2.11 32 bit that is installed by Phoronix-Test-Suite actually uses 4 cores simultaneously.

So I stand corrected on that point.

There are VERY FEW applications that multi thread correctly, whether 32 bit or 64 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Maya, 3dsmax, photoshop 32-bit all do use multithread quite nicely. You are probably not using filters, plugin's, etc, that really don't need multi-thread. Even look at some thing like CoreAVC which is a h264 decoder that is most definiately threaded. There are literally hundreds of multithreaded apps out there in 32-bit form. Another excellent example is handbrake.

As far as the "switched to 64 bit so they don't update 32" well that is a bunch of bubkus, since 32-bit and 64-bit have NO bearing if a app is multithreaded or not. I have been happily enjoying the experiences of multithreaded apps since I first got a dual cpu celeron system over a decade ago and at that time there was only 32-bit windows.
                    Did you ever go back and update any of your 16 bit code once Windows 95 released? I sure didn't. AND I'm not updating any of my 32 bit code any more either. Your mileage may vary. Heck I had to dig to find a CD that has a 32 bit of an OS on it today. I run 64 bit OSs exclusively at this point, except when testing things like this.

Comment

And the final point I have to make on this thread.

Here's the link to the results of 32bit vs 64bit build-apache using Phoronix Test Suite.

http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...949-20690-8242

Comment

Working...
                      X