Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Updated ATI Kernel Mode-Setting Driver

Phoronix: An Updated ATI Kernel Mode-Setting Driver

The Linux 2.6.31 kernel will be released within the next month or so and one of the new features in this release is the long-awaited integration of the TTM memory manager and then appearing as a staging driver in this kernel is an ATI kernel mode-setting driver. This KMS driver doesn't yet support the newer R600/R700 GPUs, but it does support the R500 series and will be used by default in the forthcoming release of Fedora 12. While the Linux 2.6.31-rc5 kernel should be released at any point now and the development is quickly winding down on this kernel, David Airlie is trying to push in a significant ATI KMS driver update into this kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Getting funnier by the second

LOL...news to alert me that in a month (or so) my card still won't be supported

Comment

When will the KMS for R600 supported? please?

Comment

1. Is Mesa 7.6 needed for GEM/DRI2/KMS for R1xx-R5xx?
        2. Is there a rough schedule for the Mesa 7.6 release?
        3. Is there a chance to include R6xx/R/xx stuff in time for Linux 2.6.32?

Thanks.

And thanks to the developers!

Comment

well i don't see any problems against pulling these updates into mainline.

after all ati kms is in staging - which means it's experimental code. there should be no problems with pulling those updates, since only those users who know what they are doing will use these drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            well i don't see any problems against pulling these updates into mainline.

after all ati kms is in staging - which means it's experimental code. there should be no problems with pulling those updates, since only those users who know what they are doing will use these drivers.
            It depends if other Kernel parts have to be modified, but it seems it's only radeon related:

Comment

When KMS is stable, how much work will it likely take to make a root-less X server?

1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 12 months?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                When KMS is stable, how much work will it likely take to make a root-less X server?

1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 12 months?
                Last time I tried KMS, it was already almost stable. So, with theses patchs, I guess this should be stable enough to be used by users who know what they are doing
                Also, it should be available in the 2.6.32 that should be out within 3 months.

Concerning root-less X server, my bet that it is already stable but not in good-enough shape to enter the X-server mainline

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                  Last time I tried KMS, it was already almost stable. So, with theses patchs, I guess this should be stable enough to be used by users who know what they are doing
                  Can KMS be used together with the Catalyst drivers?

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                  Concerning root-less X server, my bet that it is already stable but not in good-enough shape to enter the X-server mainline
                  So it doesn't require a major rewrite of X to make it root-less?

Comment

hi, my first post, uuh exciting ;-)

and a stupid question of course...

its explicitly said that support for r500 cards is provided...
                    what about r300? does it include that chipset and previous ones?

great job
                    thx

Comment

Working...
                    X