An Updated ATI Kernel Mode-Setting Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
    Last time I tried KMS, it was already almost stable. So, with theses patchs, I guess this should be stable enough to be used by users who know what they are doing
    Also, it should be available in the 2.6.32 that should be out within 3 months.

Concerning root-less X server, my bet that it is already stable but not in good-enough shape to enter the X-server mainline
    Originally posted by Louise View Post
    Can KMS be used together with the Catalyst drivers?

So it doesn't require a major rewrite of X to make it root-less?
    1. As far as I know, Catalyst won't in the foreseeable future use KMS (I assume it's because they want as much code the be the same for all OSes).

2. From what I've read, rootless X-server is almost trivial to do once KMS is stable (like removing a sudo prefix, only a tiny bit more complicated). On any account, it won't take major X.org rewrites to make it run rootless.

Comment

I'm not sure the internals of the radeon DRM are compatible between the free and the closed driver. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is not.
      So, we'll have to wait for AMD :s. But mtippett said r6xx and following are already using GEM, so, the transition to KMS should be less painful than what happened with the free driver.
      There is very little compatibility between the open and Catalyst driver internals. The Catalyst drivers have had a high performance kernel memory manager for a number of years, with similar capabilities to GEM/TTM plus a few years of performance tuning, and bringing that memory manager into fglrx was one part of the new 3D stack we released back in September 07.

The memory manager is tightly integrated with both the 3D drivers and the low-level GPU management across all OSes, so switching to GEM/TTM is not a practical option.
      Last edited by bridgman; 29 July 2009, 02:15 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        There is very little compatibility between the open and Catalyst driver internals. The Catalyst drivers have had a high performance kernel memory manager for a number of years, with similar capabilities to GEM/TTM plus a few years of performance tuning, and bringing that memory manager into fglrx was one part of the new 3D stack we released back in September 07.

The memory manager is tightly integrated with both the 3D drivers and the low-level GPU management across all OSes, so switching to GEM/TTM is not a practical option.
        So, what about KMS with catalyst ?
        I understand the little interest for it for professionals.
        About us, by the time KMS will be used, oss drivers for r100 to r700 should be able to perform fairly for desktop usage (with KMS/DRI2 and gallium3D).

Comment

Realistically we would need to implement KMS inside the fglrx kernel driver and have fglrx's kernel module come up at boot time rather than the open source drm. Any other approach would seem to result in losing things like MultiView (accelerated 3D across multiple screens and multiple GPUs) and Crossfire.
          Test signature

Comment

Pulled: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...026bad630cd3da

Comment

Oh yeah !! Well done Linus !

I'll wait for the rc5, I've had some troubles with my filesystem using the 2.6.31. I don't know if it is because my computer was crashing (KMS) or if it was a real problem of the ext4 driver.

Comment

Oh yeah !! Well done Linus !

I'll wait for the rc5, I've had some troubles with my filesystem using the 2.6.31. I don't know if it is because my computer was crashing (KMS) or if it was a real problem of the ext4 driver.
                I had the same problem - my filesystem crashed twice on 2.6.31-rc2 with KMS enabled and I stopped experimenting (but I had ext3).

Comment

Should compiz run on TTM on radeons ( r200 ) with decent performance?

I've made quite a mess of my system pulling in various unstable branches of things, and I've got X reporting DRI2 is initialising, and I can run glxgears ( woohoo! ), but when I start ecomorph ( compiz on e17 ), it runs at about 1 frame every 5 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                    Should compiz run on TTM on radeons ( r200 ) with decent performance?

I've made quite a mess of my system pulling in various unstable branches of things, and I've got X reporting DRI2 is initialising, and I can run glxgears ( woohoo! ), but when I start ecomorph ( compiz on e17 ), it runs at about 1 frame every 5 seconds
                    Performances with KMS/DRI2 (I assume that's what you mean) are quite bad when using a compositor. Otherwise, it is already pretty fast, I was even able to play flash videos in fullscreen on my r300 (XPress 200M) on my fullHD screen. Something that even my new HD4770 can't do at the moment with fglrx.

Nevertheless, it was not _that_ slow on my computer. A lot of work is done for the r300, so, I assume It already had a bit of optimisation.

Comment

Performances with KMS/DRI2 (I assume that's what you mean) are quite bad when using a compositor.
                      Really? Yes well that's how I'd describe performance at this point I suppose, so I'm not surprised. Disappointed. Not surprised. I've already had to disable AGP and AccelDFS to get rid of graphics corruption under EXA ( and DRI1 ). It's hard to avoid the feeling that I'm going backwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X