AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    so important to make Microsoft write opensource drivers(Hyper-V) for Linux!!
    Wasn't the point of the driver that you will be able to run a Windows (tm) operating system on top of Linux kernel's virtualization layer fast?
    Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    Well for the history Fedora 11 does not even use an xorg.conf file...
    It can use one, it just doesn't by default come with one since opensource drivers are autodetected and usually come with reasonable default settings.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 26 July 2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Wasn't the point of the driver that you will be able to run a Windows (tm) operating system on top of Linux kernel's virtualization layer fast?
      I thought it was the other way round - improving performance when Windows was the host OS (ie running all the time) and Linux was running on top (when needed).
      Last edited by bridgman; 26 July 2009, 08:30 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        It can use one, it just doesn't by default come with one since opensource drivers are autodetected and usually come with reasonable default settings.
        Well the thing I know for opensource drivers is that they can use the 40% to say the most of your HD 2xxx or 3xxx or 4xxx card's abilities wereas fglrx currently utilizes almost 80% for me correctly...

They are still not ready for the modern cards even though they are more user friendly(no installation, automatic output detection and 2D acceptable usability) because think about the reasons you buy a new graphics card or a motherboard with a modern integrated one...

1. 3D performance on much higher resolutions new monitors have and new game titles.
        2. HD Video playback and modern 2D features.
        3. Combination of more GPUs -> Crossfire.
        4. More than one screens.
        5. Better power management.

Opensource drivers cover now only a part of the 2. reason and a part of the 4. too. 1-3-5 are of no discussion out of their abilities yet...
        We will hopefully see improvements as Gallium 3D matures but for now nothing exciting for us...

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
          realy.. what is your problem?

if you do not belive that wine have an wine specific OpenGL exansion in openGL3.2 tell this as an question to bridgman!

this extansion will make the transcode from dx to openGL much faster and modern features at the first time realy playaple..

becourse all the time you can handel all DX in an Software Rendericer.. but its not fast wine can't support games with slow Pur GSGL code.

the new exansion in openGL3.2... in wine 1.1.24 and up wine has code for invidia with this technologie to speeds up the transcode.

in wine 1.1.25 AMD/ATI works but only GSGL "slow" becourse to much overhead to controll the transcode.

OpenGL3.2 will speed up wine!
          Qaridarium, it's self-evident that wine doesn't have some requirement on OpenGL3.2. Why is that, you ask? BECAUSE OGL3.2 DOESN'T EXIST YET!!! And unless you work for Khronos, or one of the parties involved in creating the new standard, you really have no clue about what's going to be made a part of 3.2. Now maybe the nvidia extension you're talking about will be added, but you don't know that for sure. OGL3.2 could come out without it, and it would still just be a proprietary nvidia extension, and then I suppose you'd probably be coming here talking about how wine requires OpenGL 3.3.

Comment

• Gradual improvement. For the first time I can watch movies with Compiz on and not having the computer lock on me now and then. I still notice tearing, occasionally, with default settings...haven't yet tried others. Using Ubuntu 9.04 (64-bit), video card Gigabyte's 1gb 4870 connected to a Benq 24 inch LCD monitor with DVI - I have yet to use --buildpkg. The desktop is extended to include my analog TV using Display.

Catalyst reports my main monitor's max res the same as TV's res (1024x768). Set to correct res of 1920x1200 with Display. It also reports the LCD monitor as Display 2 - probably due to the way these monitors are connected (as specified in Gigabyte's manual). This is true in Vista, as well. The main effect in my daily use is that Firefox opens up to the vertically maxed res of 768 instead of 1200 (apparently), so that I have to stretch Firefox's window downwards. This used to be the case with Thunderbird, too, but it opens up correctly with this driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              Really, what is your problem?

If you do not believe that Wine has a Wine-specific OpenGL 3.2 extension, ask Bridgman!

This extension will make the DirectX-to-OpenGL translation much faster.

You can handle DirectX calls with software rendering, but its slow, and Wine can't support games with slow pure GSGL code.

The new OpenGL 3.2 extension in Wine 1.1.24 and up has code for nVidia with this technology that speeds up the translation.

In Wine 1.1.25, AMD/ATi works, but GSGL is slow because there is too much overhead in the translation.

OpenGL 3.2 will speed up Wine!
              Last edited by Wintervenom; 05 August 2009, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrentZ View Post
                No.

No.
                I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context in a self written OpenGL program. This fails with Catalyst 9.6 (an OpenGL error occurs), but with Catalyst 9.7 it doesn't and glGetString(GL_VERSION) and glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) returns the following:

Code:
                glGetString(GL_VERSION): 3.1.8787 BETA Forward-Compatible Context
                glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION): 1.30
                So... Catalyst 9.7 has beta 3.1 support, but no support for GLSL 1.40, or it just shows the wrong version number for glsl (that happened when OpenGL 3.0 support was introduced as well, I didn't try creating a glsl program with the 1.40 version string, so it might actually support it...).

I didn't check whether all OpenGL 3.1 features were available, just reporting that creating a 3.1 context works and that it reports in the version string to be a 3.1 context.
                Last edited by Heiko; 27 July 2009, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                  I tried creating an OpenGL 3.1 context in a self written OpenGL program. This fails with Catalyst 9.6 (an OpenGL error occurs), but with Catalyst 9.7 it doesn't and glGetString(GL_VERSION) and glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION) returns the following:

Code:
                  glGetString(GL_VERSION): 3.1.8787 BETA Forward-Compatible Context
                  glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION): 1.30
                  So... Catalyst 9.7 has beta 3.1 support, but no support for GLSL 1.40, or it just shows the wrong version number for glsl (that happened when OpenGL 3.0 support was introduced as well, I didn't try creating a glsl program with the 1.40 version string, so it might actually support it...).

I didn't check whether all OpenGL 3.1 features were available, just reporting that creating a 3.1 context works and that it reports in the version string to be a 3.1 context.
                  The version string indicates OGL 3.2 Beta not 3.1. If it would be 3.1 the string should be something like 3.0.xxxx.

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                    The version string indicates OGL 3.2 Beta not 3.1. If it would be 3.1 the string should be something like 3.0.xxxx.
                    How do you translate `3.1.8787 BETA' into an OpenGL 3.2 beta? It clearly shows 3.1 in the version string, not 3.2. In fact, I tried creating an OpenGL 3.2 context (of course I wanted to try and see whether it worked), but that gave an OpenGL error. So catalyst 9.7 clearly has NO OGL 3.2 support.

Catalyst 9.6 showed as version string (after requesting an OpenGL 3.0 context) something like: 3.0.xxxx. Really... 3.0.xxxx means OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1.xxxx means OpenGL 3.1 not OpenGL 3.2 (which will be something like 3.2.xxxx).
                    Last edited by Heiko; 27 July 2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                      How do you translate `3.1.8787 BETA' into an OpenGL 3.2 beta? It clearly shows 3.1 in the version string, not 3.2. In fact, I tried creating an OpenGL 3.2 context (of course I wanted to try and see whether it worked), but that gave an OpenGL error. So catalyst 9.7 clearly has NO OGL 3.2 support.

Catalyst 9.6 showed as version string (after requesting an OpenGL 3.0 context) something like: 3.0.xxxx. Really... 3.0.xxxx means OpenGL 3.0 and 3.1.xxxx means OpenGL 3.1 not OpenGL 3.2 (which will be something like 3.2.xxxx).
                      3.0.xxxx something shortly before 3.1
                      3.1.xxxx something shortly before 3.2

Comment

Working...
                      X