AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
    As far as I can see, it will only need some minor changes to the patches...
    yep.

just putting the warning out there that the current patches arnt enough for .30 compat and will leave you with broken drivers under that kernel.

Comment

Catalyst 9.7 gave me a huge boost in fps in wine + eve-online when using fbo offscreen rendering mode. I was running 30 - 55 fps in space and now I'm running 65 - 90 fps. Over 100 in a station

I'm guess it's because of the new vertex array bgra extension.

Comment

Wow, just wow. They can't support a 4 month old kernel. I guess looking at the community patches would be too much work..

Comment

Does this patch still work for 9.7?

Comment

I can't remember the last time there was a catalyst released and the title didn't read "Catalyst x.x released. nothing much new"

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I guess the key point is that the support statements should be "AND-ed" not "OR-ed". We'll try to make that more clear.
              No, I think the key is, AMD/ATI developers are doing absolutely nothing, I really hope AMD CEO can see the inefficiency of his team. I really doubt he has been able to appreciate this situation. So I guess, it will require a more aggressive approach by the users. One month to get such a worthless piece of bad software without any new features, just a few very very poor bug fixes, and support for a distribution that is as outdated as can be. Guys, come on, start supporting Linux, not some distributions.

Is a shame all my computers and all my hardware I have lying around is from AMD. But I tell you, no more I will buy AMD ever again, and will enthusiastically tell others to do the same.

I know it is worthless to direct any message to you guys, since you never hear the consumer, and never will. But soon, more than it has happened thus far, it will hurt the company.

Still concentrating in a very bad OSS driver with no 3D support, so we only have two half-backed alternatives. Can't we have one fully backed driver?
              Last edited by kensai; 23 July 2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

yup, this months driver release is absolutely worthless - with no improvements.

which perfectly explains why several people posted about big improvements with this driver. wait....

yes newer kernel support would be great, and yes, they should get on that, however, i had absolutely no problems installing this on 64-bit arch with 2.6.30, and as noted, video playback with compositing is better (though not perfect) and i'm getting better frame-rates in some games.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                  yup, this months driver release is absolutely worthless - with no improvements.
                  Yeah, I suspect if every new version had enough new features to keep Michael happy, they'd soon start including everything including the kitchen sink and neighbour's gold fish. I don't personally see what's wrong with just pushing bug fixes and performance fixes in new versions.

Comment

Originally posted by kensai View Post
                    No, I think the key is, AMD/ATI developers are doing absolutely nothing, I really hope AMD CEO can see the inefficiency of his team. I really doubt he has been able to appreciate this situation. So I guess, it will require a more aggressive approach by the users. One month to get such a worthless piece of bad software without any new features, just a few very very poor bug fixes, and support for a distribution that is as outdated as can be. Guys, come on, start supporting Linux, not some distributions.

Is a shame all my computers and all my hardware I have lying around is from AMD. But I tell you, no more I will buy AMD ever again, and will enthusiastically tell others to do the same.

I know it is worthless to direct any message to you guys, since you never hear the consumer, and never will. But soon, more than it has happened thus far, it will hurt the company.

Still concentrating in a very bad OSS driver with no 3D support, so we only have two half-backed alternatives. Can't we have one fully backed driver?
                    Yeah, this is basically the bitching that I've been doing for nearly two years now. Yet fglrx is still shitty, and they can't seem to spend the couple of hours, if even that it would take to get the driver to use the latest kernel. Yes, people do USE the latest kernels, because they don't want to be stuck in the past like the other operating systems.

And no, I'm not bitching about "something that's free". I'm bitching because of the problems involved in getting a STABLE driver that supports all of the features of the hardware that was paid for. I can't do shit with the hardware if there isn't driver support for it.

Comment

Would be nice to actually be able to use the accelerated video decoding someday. And doesn't it seem strange that video decoding, which is pretty squarely a consumer issue, is only supported in fglrx which is supposedly a workstation driver?

It's time to tell the MPAA to FOAD and quit with all this DRM foolishness. It's a waste of hardware, and a waste of intellect...

Comment

Working...
                      X