Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

It's a bit late in the month, but AMD has just released the ATI Catalyst 9.7 driver update for Linux. Officially, the only new feature in Catalyst 9.7 is production support for Red Flag DT 7.0, but there are some bug-fixes too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD's asymptotic releases

If AMD keeps this trend, the next Catalyst release will have LESS features than the previous one...and support for Corel Linux.

Comment

FRAK another useless release. Still no 2.6.29 support WTF!? .30 has been out for ages. Hopefully the 9.6's introduced video playback lock ups are gone...This is just so fraking frustrating...

MEGAGRRRRRR

And it's going to take at least a year until free drivers have any form of GL2 support (optimistic estimate, yeah been following this scene enough to know). This is just horrible situation...At the moment there're two choices neither works. Just horrible situation we AMD users are forced to live in.

This new driver was supposed to fix all and it's already been over a year and half and something as ordinary as video playback is still SHITE!

You know actually this is not horrible. It was horrible a year ago and now it's just sad. *sigh*
      Last edited by blindfrog; 23 July 2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Been waiting a while for this, I literally just woke up and there it is.

Aside from kernel support, these drivers are getting better each time. The last 3 catalyst releases, have each allowed higher shader graphics settings in wine games without slowdowns. Now RandR is fixed, another bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
          FRAK another useless release. Still no 2.6.29 support WTF!? .30 has been out for ages. Hopefully the 9.6's introduced video playback lock ups are gone...This is just so fraking frustrating...

MEGAGRRRRRR
          Let the bashing begin!

Comment

kernel support docs?

In another thread (yesterday) I was able to get directions about how to recover from a mismatch between kernel versions supported by fglrx 9.6 and the kernel installed. Fine. Thanks to those who replied.

But in looking over the release notes for this (9.7) driver I see the kernel requirements specified at 2.6 or higher. Well that isn't very helpful. If it said between 2.6.0 and 2.6.X where X is the highest kernel version actually supported, wouldn't that be useful?

Also, when I ran the installer, it seems that it would be elementary to check the version number and refuse to install a non-working driver.

Is that too naive? or what? It seems to me that it would be simple and useful to do that.

Dave

Comment

this version also doesnt seem to like the current 2.6.30 patches from the gentoo bug trackers.
              what a dissapointment.

Comment

Originally posted by midol View Post
                But in looking over the release notes for this (9.7) driver I see the kernel requirements specified at 2.6 or higher. Well that isn't very helpful. If it said between 2.6.0 and 2.6.X where X is the highest kernel version actually supported, wouldn't that be useful?

Also, when I ran the installer, it seems that it would be elementary to check the version number and refuse to install a non-working driver.

Is that too naive? or what? It seems to me that it would be simple and useful to do that.

Dave
                Hi Dave. The official "explanation" for the kernel version requirement noted as "2.6 or above" is here.

Of course it would be useful to know explicitely which kernels are supported, but consider that AMD's website *still* claims you must install 32-bits libs to use Catalyst if you have a x86_64 system (oh, but that means if only if you want to use 32-bit apps, go figure! ).

Btw, is not worth to patch KCL under Fedora 11. It will hang your Xserver randomly.

Comment

I guess the key point is that the support statements should be "AND-ed" not "OR-ed". We'll try to make that more clear.
                  Test signature

Comment

I actually like this release very much.
                    The slow xv in window-mode is fixed :-)

Wine runs better -> No crashes anymore.

Keep up the good work AMD/ATI. Well, the we would like to have kernel 2.6.30, but fortunately there is good patches around.

Comment

Working...
                    X