No announcement yet.

Okay, Linux Gamers Are REALLY Excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how Phoronix got like 940 or so new 1-time posters just to get a key. I pity their database :P

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      Funny how Phoronix got like 940 or so new 1-time posters just to get a key. I pity their database :P
      Hope some of them will remember phoronix website and come back

Comment

about 900 of them will never post again

Comment

Originally posted by Yomp!! View Post
          Its too bad there isn't a tutorial in the game (yet hopefully), I could had used one, but I don't need it now. What doesn't help though is that 2 out of the 3 games I've played already have consisted of jerks that are neither newbie friendly in a noob only game, or are very understanding. But if you guys want to get a game together we could organize one in #phoronix on irc.freenode.net or plan one on a certain date and time.
          I do have to agree with you here it looks like it can be a fun game once you start to get to a decent level with it but there is a huge amount of elitism. even on noob server you get kicked from games based on your stats. Have i missed something here? I have enjoyed playing the beta key but their community is so hostile, dont think i'll be buying this regadless of linux support

Comment

Originally posted by netsurf View Post
            I do have to agree with you here it looks like it can be a fun game once you start to get to a decent level with it but there is a huge amount of elitism. even on noob server you get kicked from games based on your stats. Have i missed something here? I have enjoyed playing the beta key but their community is so hostile, dont think i'll be buying this regadless of linux support
            This is exactly the reason I refused to play DoTA... a game full of elitist jerks. :-(
            That said though... since I can create what amounts to single player games bu starting a private game... or I can invite friends I know who are not expecting perfection, I will be playing this game. The graphics are nice.. and best of all, that ever elusive Linux native client. I'll be buying the game when it goes gold :-)

Comment

Originally posted by netsurf View Post
              From what I saw, HoN is a very cool game, and it's even better since it's coming to Linux. However, I agree that there is too much elitism within the community. I myself am a newcomer to HoN (and Savage 2 for that matter) and I find that this attitude does deter me from playing the game as often as I play something along the lines of Guild Wars or WoW. For the time being I have been setting up private games and playing by myself, and it is pretty fun and reminds me of WarCraft III. The elitist community is no fault of the developers, but it can be a bit egregious at times.

Comment

Originally posted by eokiahn View Post
                From what I saw, HoN is a very cool game, and it's even better since it's coming to Linux. However, I agree that there is too much elitism within the community. I myself am a newcomer to HoN (and Savage 2 for that matter) and I find that this attitude does deter me from playing the game as often as I play something along the lines of Guild Wars or WoW. For the time being I have been setting up private games and playing by myself, and it is pretty fun and reminds me of WarCraft III. The elitist community is no fault of the developers, but it can be a bit egregious at times.
                The solution I've found... dig around and find a few players who are willing to help you learn or play at your (and my) beginner level. You can tag them as friends in the game server screen, and when they pop online, you can arrange bigger matches (bigger than solo games). So far.. no probs with those that think they are better than everyone else :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  That might be true, but you also get the people like me, long time reader who don't post that much. I think I made 1 post before the 1 asking for a key, and that might very well been a month or two before...

Comment

900 people who will never post again is acceptable. But let's imagine people who come here by word of mouth and pose as *nix OS users -- which they might not be -- to get the beta key and then only to download the Windows version once in.

Edit. I hate to be a spammer, since I already asked for advice on this problem (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18216), but I'll ask here too for help since I didn't get replies, and I'm craving to play HoN but I can't. Basically HoN doesn't manage to connect to the web, except for 2 places: (1) checking what is the latest game version and (2) checking how many running games there are. But nothing else so I can't play. I don't want to report this as a bug since I believe it's my Ubuntu Studio 8.04 problem somewhere, because I own World of Goo, which also refuses to connect to the internet to check other players' scores. All this while browsing works just fine. Any idea why? Thanks.
                    Last edited by geamandura; 28 July 2009, 12:49 PM.

Comment

having them pose a linux users is not uncommon. You see this on Windows/OSX fights all the time. when the osx people provide valid points the windows people usually say they use linux, which the rest of the world knows is crap. This in particular i take with great compliment. Not to mention is shames the windows user base.

Comment

Working...
                      X