Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.5 / X Server 1.7: No Branching, No Beta

Phoronix: X.Org 7.5 / X Server 1.7: No Branching, No Beta

Last week we reported it looked like X.Org 7.5 would be released late, and sadly, we are now behind on two important milestones in the road to releasing X.Org 7.5 / X Server 1.7. X.Org 7.5 has already been challenged by a few delays and was supposed to be released in April, but it took a month until the release manager even released the release didn't happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh noes!!!

Comment

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a post a week or so ago saying that so far they had not seen a need to branch, so the lack of branching may not indicate a delay in the release plans.

Normally branches happen when you are trying to stabilize one set of code for a release at the same time a new slug of changes needs to go into master, and AFAICS all the 1.7 work is able to be done in master for now.
      Test signature

Comment

As long as it is released for Ubuntu 9.10 and the likes...

I seriously don't understand how companys like Novell etc. don't have more people working on this really, really important piece of software. Guys like MostAwesomeDude should be hired ASAP in my opinion.

Comment

I can't believe it either!

This is the most important piece of software after the kernel and should be under a serious management, just like the Linux kernel.

Otherwise, *nix will always be too far behind, as long as the User-end Desktop is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a post a week or so ago saying that so far they had not seen a need to branch, so the lack of branching may not indicate a delay in the release plans.
            Discussion of the X Server and related X.Org components, including X Input, Multi-Pointer X, and Multi-Touch. The Linux Kernel DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) can also be discussed.

... I think Michel missed it since it wasn't one of the first post in that topic...

Comment

This is probably going to be a repeat of 7.4

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                I seriously don't understand how companys like Novell etc. don't have more people working on this really, really important piece of software. Guys like MostAwesomeDude should be hired ASAP in my opinion.
                How flattering. :3

I'm doing GSoC, and I'll probably go work for [insert open-source company here] when I graduate.

Comment

The most important part of graphics system should be located in DRI part in my opinion, and indeed it is experiencing dramatic evolution in these 2 years. In terms of X.org, actually I didn't see anything needs an overhaul(it is too old and too big, unless a re-design was carried out, or it wouldn't have much improvement).
                  However, if it could arouse widely attention and interests of those IT gaints such as Intel, IBM, it would have a much brighter future. Just as KMS+DRI does.

Comment

Working...
                  X