Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Version 2.8 X.Org Driver

Phoronix: Intel Releases Version 2.8 X.Org Driver

It's been an interesting past few months in the Linux graphics world, but to mark the end of four months of development, Carl Worth on the behalf of the Intel Open-Source Technology Center has announced the release of an updated DDX driver. This new Intel driver is, of course, xf86-video-intel 2.8.0.This updated 2D driver drops EXA and DRI1 support in favor of only supporting UXA and DRI2, respectively...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice!

nice! happy to hear that! one question: i'm running arch 32bit (2.6.30) on my netbook. of course, i'm already on driver version 2.7.999. 2.8 should be in there today or tomorrow. how can i find out whether uxa is running? glxgears got aroudn 80fps (ok ok, no benchmark etc., but as a first point of view it's usable...). seems very few frames for me?! glxinfo doesn't say anything about uxa/dri2 etc...
    can someone help me? how to enable uxa? or is it already running? how to find out??? thanks!

Comment

You should check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for info about 2D accel.

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
        nice! happy to hear that! one question: i'm running arch 32bit (2.6.30) on my netbook. of course, i'm already on driver version 2.7.999. 2.8 should be in there today or tomorrow. how can i find out whether uxa is running? glxgears got aroudn 80fps (ok ok, no benchmark etc., but as a first point of view it's usable...). seems very few frames for me?! glxinfo doesn't say anything about uxa/dri2 etc...
        can someone help me? how to enable uxa? or is it already running? how to find out??? thanks!
        As the news says, with that version of the driver you can only use UXA.

Comment

Couldn't the VDPAU API actually be implemented in the intel driver?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
            Couldn't the VDPAU API actually be implemented in the intel driver?
            I expect so. But nobody has done it yet.

Comment

So who has benchmarks that compare this release with the previous ones?

Comment

Benchmarks are coming...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

2.6.30 kernel - glxgears 450fps, urt phoronix 21fps
                  2.6.31-rc3 - glxgears 950fps, urt phoronix 25fps

intel x3100, mesa 7.5.1

And bunch of bugs have been fixed, compiz memory leaks (related to mesa upgrade), full screen apps with lower resolution than the native one are maximized, everything works fine now...

Comment

Seems like an improvement when briefly tested on the Kubuntu Karmic Alpha 3 Live CD.

Comment

Working...
                    X