Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trust me, this is the holy grail of GNU/Linux :

2009.08-1 archboot "Schmollie" ISO hybrid image and torrent

What you get is the rolling release distro and by far the most efficient, useful, speedy package manager out there. Also you should get the full blown GNOME DE with footprint of <100MB on i686 or ~130MB on x86_64.
    Last edited by hax0r; 02 August 2009, 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Rolling releases are nice for some people, but it creates much more support effort than normal ones. When you closed some bugs new ones are found.
      The "more effort" thing is a common mistake. Yes, gentoo needs a lot of trouble to install but after that you relax for eternity. I use daily the same installation of gentoo for the last 5 years as long as my two young sisters. I update my system each weekend (during the night while sleeping) and half an hour in the morning for possible recompile of third party depedencies. The effort to install a "normal" distro every six months or so and fixing bugs or waiting for updates and patches while after 2-3 months you are not anymore in the bleeding edge part, needs much more effort. With gentoo (I have not personal experience with other rolling distro) you work a lot at the begining but that's all and if you use the stable packages you will very rarely encounter bugs.

Comment

Slackware or openSuSE

Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
        Need help finding a Distro... but I have some tricky requirements.

Need something that wont take a whole lot of trouble to set up and use (my GF uses this PC too). But I need something that is bleeding edge in terms of Development software (Eclipse, GCC, etc...). And (that's the tricky part) ATI Catalist MUST work (ATI HD4850) because I do play some games.

Between KDE and Gnome I prefer KDE but I use gnome too, so no problem here. As a package manager I'm very used to Debian APT. But as gnome vs KDE I can learn to use another package manager.

Any suggestions?

PS: Been using Ubuntu lately
        Slackware and openSuSE are the best KDE-based distros out there. Slackware is faster, bloat-free and more secure. But its package management is less intuitive compared to openSuSE and you need fair amount of experience with Linux (any UNIX-like OS) to be comfortable with Slackware. openSuSE has an excellent GUI control center for everything from package management to server administration.

Comment

Mandriva is excellent KDE4 and Gnome based distro as well, with intuitive package manager, easy setup and powerful system tools.

Comment

Archlinux - PITA

Archlinux is a pain in the ASCII to install and set up. It reminds me of Slackware releases from 1994.

Once you get Archlinux installed and configured manually, it lacks a couple of features I really use a lot in other distros. Ability to log into KDE as root for example. Right click on desktop to get a menu including console or terminal windows for example, etc.

I do have to admit that with Archlinux, I obtained one of the best benchmarks for Apache-build there is. For everyday use it just is too time consuming to make the spoils worth the battle.

Your mileage will vary. It's just a matter of how much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar07 View Post
              Archlinux is a pain in the ASCII to install and set up. It reminds me of Slackware releases from 1994.

Once you get Archlinux installed and configured manually, it lacks a couple of features I really use a lot in other distros. Ability to log into KDE as root for example. Right click on desktop to get a menu including console or terminal windows for example, etc.

I do have to admit that with Archlinux, I obtained one of the best benchmarks for Apache-build there is. For everyday use it just is too time consuming to make the spoils worth the battle.

Your mileage will vary. It's just a matter of how much.
              Archlinux installs vanilla KDE, so no right click options, but they can be installed. As for root issues, don't forget to install sudo and setup visudo, also HAL and DBUS need ck-launch-session in .xinitrc, e.g. "exec ck-launch-session startkde". All of this is in the wiki pages AFAIK. The install is very straightforward, part of KISS principle, the installer guides you step by step and it's hard to screw anything up, unlike Gentoo stage 3 install.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                The install is very straightforward, part of KISS principle, the installer guides you step by step and it's hard to screw anything up, unlike Gentoo stage 3 install.
                Well, gentoo has the best guides out there and even if sourcebased, the installation is pretty straight. Only a newbie could have a problem I guess, but yet gentoo aims to experienced users.

Comment

Don't the let the "configuration" of Arch throw you off.

1. If you know your way around Linux, it's not particularly hard to setup

2. The defaults configs are generally well documented/commented

3. Once you set it up once, it's easy to set it up again

4. KDE will be for the most part completely packaged and setup with a vanilla install

However, the biggest problem with a rolling distro is that you always have to stay on top of it. You always have to be watching what's coming up and potential changes, since it's not necessarily advisable not to upgrade

Comment

Using ARch on work and is working very nicely!!!

Sadly the new kernel don't support Catalyst (Or the other way around :P ) so keeping Ubuntu @ home and hoping for a new ATI Catalist release!

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                      2. The defaults configs are generally well documented/commented

3. Once you set it up once, it's easy to set it up again
                      ++

The first time might take a couple of hours and some confusion until you get how everything is set up. The next time, you'll have a complete system up and running in less than 1 hour (provided you have a good internet connection and a fast hard drive ).

The arch wiki is excellent and explains everything you might wish to know. The community is very active and supportive and you'll find PKBUILD scripts for everything you might need (and if you don't it's *trivial* to make a script yourself).

Arch: where the beer is good and the software is up to date!

Comment

Working...
                      X