Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powercolor 4650 PCI-Express - is this a "thin card"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powercolor 4650 PCI-Express - is this a "thin card"?

Hi,

I have a Thinkpad Advanced docking station for my T60p, which has a full-height PCI-Express slot inside it. I am thinking of putting a new graphics card in there, but there's a catch - the space for the card isn't very large, and a card with a large fan or heat-sink simply isn't going to fit! This rules out the majority of "performance" video cards straight away, but I'm only looking for better performance than a R535 (equivalent) chip, so that's OK.

The Powercolor 4650 looks (from the pictures on the website) that it might fit, because the heat-sink seems relatively small and does not extend to the other side of the PCB.

Does anyone own a Powercolor 4650 card, please? And if so, can you give me an idea of how high (in cm) the heat-sink sits on the PCB?

Thanks,
    Chris

At the risk of "answering myself"...

Visual inspection of the card was so promising that I bought it... and was astonished to discover that it fits inside my docking station perfectly!

Code:
    0c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    	Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device 2269
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    	Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    	Memory at edf00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    	I/O ports at 8000 [size=256]
    	[virtual] Expansion ROM at ec000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    	Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
    	Kernel modules: fglrx

0c:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT Audio device [Radeon HD 4670]
    	Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device aa38
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 503
    	Memory at edf10000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    What I wasn't expecting was for the docking station's fan for its PCI-Express slot to be so loud!

Comment

Working...
    X