Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.5 Finally Released w/ New Features

Phoronix: Mesa 7.5 Finally Released w/ New Features

After being in development for a number of months and being challenged by a few delays, Mesa 7.5 was officially released last night. What's most significant about this milestone is that it's the first release to include the Gallium3D architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is so great that the building blocks are beginning to pop in main stream.

Comment

My RS690M is R500 based. I always hear about R600 and R700 driver development.

Comment

Did you read about radeon-rewrite and the KMS/GEM/TTM work ? That was all for r1xx-r5xx. We actually had to *delay* 6xx-7xx 3d work to bring it in line with the radeon-rewrite changes made for earlier GPUs.

Most of the interesting open source 3D work right now is happening on 3xx-5xx parts; 6xx-7xx just happens to be in the news this week because it hit an interesting milestone. The first Gallium3D work for radeon GPUs is being done on 3xx-5xx (go Corbin !) and most of the big changes in the 3D stack (eg moving to a GEM/TTM kernel memory manager, which in turn makes it possible to add higher levels of GL support) are happening first on 3xx-5xx.

BTW your 690 is actually more like 6xx display blocks combined with 4xx acceleration blocks (minus the vertex shaders). That's typical for the IGP market, which usually requires the best display capabilities we can provide at any given time but isn't so picky about acceleration.
        Last edited by bridgman; 18 July 2009, 10:55 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Did you read about radeon-rewrite and the KMS/GEM/TTM work ? That was all for r1xx-r5xx. We actually had to *delay* 6xx-7xx 3d work to bring it in line with the radeon-rewrite changes made for earlier GPUs.

Most of the interesting open source 3D work right now is happening on 3xx-5xx parts; 6xx-7xx just happens to be in the news this week because it hit an interesting milestone. The first Gallium3D work for radeon GPUs is being done on 3xx-5xx (go Corbin !) and most of the big changes in the 3D stack (eg moving to a GEM/TTM kernel memory manager, which in turn makes it possible to add higher levels of GL support) are happening first on 3xx-5xx.

BTW your 690 is actually more like 6xx display blocks combined with 4xx acceleration blocks (minus the vertex shaders). That's typical for the IGP market, which usually requires the best display capabilities we can provide at any given time but isn't so picky about acceleration.
          Do you have news about the state of AGP R500 + KMS/GEM support? (x1600pro AGP over here)

Last time I tested it was broken, working on forcing PCI-E mode.

Comment

That wouldn't be in 7.5 AFAIK; you need to be looking at mesa master for the radeon-rewrite code (radeon-rewrite is where the work was done to let a single code base run over both pre-KMS/MM and KMS/MM systems). That's what will show up in 7.6.

There does seem to have been some recent work related to AGP issues, so might be worth another try. I imagine you would want both latest mesa and latest kernel code.

Do you mean PCI mode rather than PCIE ?
            Test signature

Comment

Maybe I'm just too paranoid that someone could call the R500 obsolete before the driver is usable. I can only play tuxracer_v1 and foobillard with bad performance. Games like Ankh I + II and Jack Keane don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                That wouldn't be in 7.5 AFAIK; you need to be looking at mesa master for the radeon-rewrite code (radeon-rewrite is where the work was done to let a single code base run over both pre-KMS/MM and KMS/MM systems). That's what will show up in 7.6.

There does seem to have been some recent work related to AGP issues, so might be worth another try. I imagine you would want both latest mesa and latest kernel code.

Do you mean PCI mode rather than PCIE ?
                No, I meant PCI-E. My AGP x1600pro card is one of those who have a Rialto bridge chipset, and AFAIK they are just a PCIE chip with an AGP->PCIE bridge on them.

Of course I could be wrong. So, please let me know.

I'll have a look on the latest code.

Thanks for replying.
                Last edited by hobbes; 18 July 2009, 12:27 PM. Reason: to add GPU reference.

Comment

For those with a Display Port, Red Hat is working on that for Fedora 12.

Comment

Btw.

With KMS and 3D in the kernel, does that mean that KVM (Kernel based Virtual Machine) will be able to display accelerated 3D as well?

In this video Red Hat explains that they switched from Xen to KVM as "features that are in the kernel, will the guests get for free".

An open source, software-defined platform that virtualizes Linux and Microsoft Windows workloads.

Does that also hold for KMS and 3D?

Comment

Working...
                    X