Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva Benchmarks

Phoronix: OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva Benchmarks

With it being a while since we last compared many Linux distributions when it comes to their measurable desktop performance, we decided to run a new round of tests atop four of the most popular Linux distributions: OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mandriva. To see where these Linux distributions are at, we used their latest development releases and then performed all package updates as of 2009-07-15. Following that, we ran an arsenal of tests using the Phoronix Test Suite. Here are the results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

commmon Xorg... get 7.5 out in time for openSUSE 11.2! Oh and fix XkbSetDetectableAutoRepeat while you're at it.

Aside from that, having tried out openSUSE Factory, I mostly like where it's at (a few bugs to shake out still).

What's up with Fedora? I hope they can blame that on debug builds or something. Oh and Ubuntu can suck it and I'm sure Mandriva is cheating somehow on a few tests. (Calm down I'm just poking fun )

Comment

Throw in archlinux next time .

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        Throw in archlinux next time .
        I'm not sure Mickael would like to re-install ArchLinux everytime he does a test.

Even for me, as an arch user, it is not really straight forward and fast to install it. It usually takes me 2h (I have a really good internet provider) to get something working nicely. Ubuntu would have taken 30 minutes.

Comment

Gentoo?

It would have been good to include Gentoo in this comparison. I am curious why it was omitted. A test from the ISC in 2006 showed it to outperform other operating systems and distros when it comes to DNS performance. And installing Gentoo can be done in less than 30 minutes, too.

Comment

Mandriva so good

Please explain the Dbench result.

160MB/sec for Mandriva with an old WD1600JS-00M (7200RPM)?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              It would have been good to include Gentoo in this comparison. I am curious why it was omitted. A test from the ISC in 2006 showed it to outperform other operating systems and distros when it comes to DNS performance. And installing Gentoo can be done in less than 30 minutes, too.
              I too would like to see Gentoo benchmarked. However for Gentoo to even remotely achieve its potential a proper install must be done which recompiles everything with the CFLAGS properly defined for the processor. This takes more than 30 minutes.

I do know my Gentoo laptop is quite a bit quicker than desktops running Ubuntu with similar processors running 400MHz faster.

Comment

Some distros run background tasks like indexing. Those slow down the system. I am sure Kanotix Excalibur would be also fast on your PC as KDE 3.5 is faster than 4 anyway.

Comment

If you think SeLinux is the problem with Fedora why don't you turn it off? Turning off SeLinux is the first thing I do when I install Fedora, I suspect that's what most Fedora users do because SeLinux is useless outside of the enterprise and it causes som any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bjrosen View Post
                    If you think SeLinux is the problem with Fedora why don't you turn it off? Turning off SeLinux is the first thing I do when I install Fedora, I suspect that's what most Fedora users do because SeLinux is useless outside of the enterprise and it causes som any problems.
                    "All four distributions were left with their stock settings to represent an "out of the box" experience across all of them."
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X