No announcement yet.

ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't rebuilt since yesterday but get same rgb stuff with glxgears mentioned above. On the other hand scores for glxgears are much better than previously. Showing 2000+ instead of 900+. So we can't see but it happens much faster

Comment

• I'm kind of interested in what the devs are up to. I've been watching the git logs on Mesa, and there hasn't been much r600 stuff in the last week or two; just a few less than 10 liners.

Comment

• This is what bug fixing looks like, unfortunately.

Somewhere in a million lines of code is either an error or something that doesn't work the way the developers think it did. They can either step through massive amounts of data until they find the problem (which can take weeks) or they can forumalate hypotheses, lay traps, and hope they guessed right (which can also take weeks). When the cause is found, the fix is usually relatively small. Repeat.

In the meantime, other developers are working on completely different things in the same common code, sometimes breaking functionality that was already working, which requires that the new problems be diagnosed as well. Repeat.

That's pretty much the current situation in a nutshell.
        Last edited by bridgman; 03 September 2009, 12:43 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

• -snip double post lol-
          Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 03 September 2009, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            This is what bug fixing looks like, unfortunately.

Somewhere in a million lines of code is either an error or something that doesn't work the way the developers think it did. They can either step through massive amounts of data until they find the problem (which can take weeks) or they can forumalate hypotheses, lay traps, and hope they guessed right (which can also take weeks). When the cause is found, the fix is usually relatively small. Repeat.

In the meantime, other developers are working on completely different things in the same common code, sometimes breaking functionality that was already working, which requires that the new problems be diagnosed as well. Repeat.

That's pretty much the current situation in a nutshell.
            Gotcha. I do some programming myself, but I've never dealth with more than 10,000 lines of code, and I'm usually the only one working on it.

Can't image what it'd be like to find a bug in something that huge.
            But it was kind of strange to see r600 development go from not running glxgears to where it is now in the span of two weeks then come almost to a halt for the time being.

Comment

• You seem to grok the repeating part anyway.

Comment

• Hi,

I installed the 3D stack with the method described there : http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Aexperimental_3D.
                I used this page for the radeon driver : http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo

I can run glxgear (1400 fps :-)).
                When i try to run any 3D application, i get a black screen then X reboot and i have to log in again. Is that normal ?
                I can't activate kde composite as well.

I suspect a problem in my installation. Do you know the commands to know which version of mesa/libdrm/drm/radeon i run ?

Thanks.

Bibi

Comment

• I just looked at my dmesg and /var/lox/xorg.log and i didn't notice anything special, no error.
                  Last edited by bibi; 03 September 2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Hi, I a bit confused in getting 3d for my hd3450 worked.

What was done:

1. Installed xorg form https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
                    2. Installed drm modules as explained here: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon
                    3. Blacklisted both i965 and i915 modules. After this step I've got the radeon module without any errors (at last)

Now I have an error "/usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I think it is a problem of the issue with a failover to software rendering for my case. It looks like I missed some important step.

Please help.

> uname -a

Code:
                    Linux exigen 2.6.31-9-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Sun Aug 30 17:39:23 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
                    > dmesg

Code:
                    [   38.726854] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20090831agd5f
                    [   38.770682] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613 on minor 0
                    [   39.747742] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
                    [   39.764054] [drm] Loading RV620 CP Microcode
                    [   39.764217] [drm] Loading RV620 PFP Microcode
                    [   39.779133] [drm] Resetting GPU
                    [   39.779189] [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
                    > glxinfo

Code:
                    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
                    OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.6-devel
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
                    > xorg.log

Code:
                    (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 1002:95c5:174b:e400 ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3450 rev 0, Mem @ 0xc0000000/268435456, 0xd0020000/65536, I/O @ 0x0000e000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
                    (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
                    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
                    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
                    Update:

It looks that libgl1-mesa-dri package (libgl1-mesa-dri 7.6.0+git20090902.dc9de806-0ubuntu0tormod) doesn't have r600 module. Only r200 and r300 are exist.
                    Last edited by FarJumper; 03 September 2009, 10:34 AM. Reason: Updated

Comment

• You could contact tormod directly and ask him to enable it in the build or a reason for why it's not enabled.

Comment

Working...
                      X