No announcement yet.

ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome, I just updated to the latest mesa and drm, glxgears now gives me 430 fps and compiz is now actually usable.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Awesome, I just updated to the latest mesa and drm, glxgears now gives me 430 fps and compiz is now actually usable.
      Ha, I get 572.

Duke Nukem 3D is now playable in eduke32 without the HRP. Before it felt like my system was going to blow up. The only problem now is that I get wall hacks. Pretty nice being able to see enemies through walls I guess.

Also, I got KWin working with OpenGL, but it's still not quite usable. KDE crashed after enabling it, but upon restarting KDE it did work. It leaves junk on the screen, like if you move a window, parts of the window stay behind, and I tried typing this message with it on, but the text was garbage. Had to go back to Xrender to type this.
      Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 12 August 2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• With integrated hd3200, also see improvement. glxgears around 400 and prior graphics corruption when moving other window over gears window is gone.

Not sure if comparison is valid but this card gets around 700 using fglrx.

Also tried eduke32. It does seem fast enough to play but too many goofy blinking artifacts and odd lines. Also see enemies through walls. This is definitely the best the open source drivers have done so far in 3D for my card.

Edit: same type of observations with quake2 (sdlquake)

Keep up the good effort.
        Last edited by forum1793; 12 August 2009, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• thats wierd - i get over 1000fps in glx gears with a 3200 and fglrx....

does sound like driver develpment is coming along at an impressive rate.

Comment

• I was getting 23fps in glxgears before, on my HD3450. I just pulled the new DRM (and forgot to get the new mesa) and got 20fps. Will try again in a sec with the matching mesa...

With a new mesa pull I get 125fps. I wonder if it's because I also have forcelowpowermode on...
            Last edited by highlandsun; 12 August 2009, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• @ the last 5 posters:

If you really want to test performance, see the bottom of that page.

Comment

• Originally posted by krazy View Post
                @ the last 5 posters:

Duhh. Considering that glxgears is one of the few things that works, it *is* a good benchmark *against itself*.

Comment

• Uhh, awesome work. I am now getting 600fps in glxgears. Compiz is usable (still getting some artefacts).
                  Thank you very much for this great work. You rock!

Comment

• Originally posted by krazy View Post
                    @ the last 5 posters:

There's work underway in the driver that pertains directly to the bottleneck in glxgears.

Comment

• Oh nice, I got ~31fps in glxgears with the radeon driver before and now ~285fps. Kwin also works better in opengl mode now. X dies every time I apply settings and I get some artifacts but usability is much better now. Gliding between desktops works faster than with XRender now for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X