ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It seems to me that more complex games suffer more corruption than the simple games. Stuff like supertux is almost perfect, with a flashing triangle here or there, Neverball has more flickering, but is completely playable, while OpenArena looks like a depressed Picasso did the level design
    QuakeLive had the worst corruption I had seen. :P
    Although my mesa is a couple days old, I'll try again when it's done rebuilding.

Update: Didn't seem to help much if at all.

Update 2: While it didn't seem to help Quake Live, it did fix Eduke32. The flickering is completely gone; the only problem left is that enemies and items are still visible through walls.

Glxgears makes me sad now:
    Code:
    IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 18
    no rrb
    *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
    File radeon_dma.c function radeonReleaseDmaRegions line 302
    Leaking dma buffer object!
    10866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2173.149 FPS
    9548 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1902.135 FPS
    6598 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1317.881 FPS
    5838 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1167.516 FPS
    6583 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1315.988 FPS
    6404 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1280.782 FPS
    Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 18 August 2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      Update 2: While it didn't seem to help Quake Live, it did fix Eduke32.
      With eduke32: I got flickering when first changing 8 to 32. After a few seconds the flickering stops with the following message in the CLI:
      Code:
      glinfo: Not in OpenGL mode.
      ***************************************************************************

Comment

• Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
        With eduke32: I got flickering when first changing 8 to 32. After a few seconds the flickering stops with the following message in the CLI:
        Code:
        glinfo: Not in OpenGL mode.
        I don't get the glinfo: Not in OpenGL mode.

Code:
        IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 18
        no rrb

Comment

• Neverball almost works for me too, but hangs after a minute or so. Maybe because the card overheats? IDK. But until we have a way to increase the fan speed with the open drivers, 3D is useless for many cards. For example, my 3850 has the fan stuck at a 16%, completely insufficient for 3D mode. With fglrx I always used to execute
          Code:
          aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 50"
          before starting any game, otherwise it would hang.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fran View Post
            With fglrx I always used to execute
            Code:
            aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 50"
            before starting any game, otherwise it would hang.

Whoa. I don't think one should have to do something like this. The card is supposed to regulate fan speed according to the heat/temp data that is coming from the sensor. If this is not hardwired then maybe some data is misinterpreted. That would be a bug. I e.g. had my VIA CPU stuck at lowest frq. when I used the conventional insted of ondemand stepper even though they do basically the same.
            On the other hand I have a passively cooled HD3300 chip and a passively cooled (Sapphire) HD3780 so I can't tell much about GPU fanspeeds.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• I have had a nice plasmoid installed showing temp and fanspeed and made it possible to change the speed - and when started once until the next reboot the card did not regulate the fanspeed automatically anymore. Just removing the plasmoid was not enough. Maybe Fran has some setting hidden somewhere and forgot about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Whoa. I don't think one should have to do something like this. The card is supposed to regulate fan speed according to the heat/temp data that is coming from the sensor. If this is not hardwired then maybe some data is misinterpreted.
                Probably not the problem in this case (1 min is too fast to overheat), but I'm positive my card doesn't regulate the fan speed. Neither in windows or in linux. In windows I use rivatuner to set the fan speed at 50-60% before starting a game, in linux I use aticonfig. If I don't do it, the game hangs (the temperature reaches >90?, and the fan stays at 16%). I think the first batch of Sapphire HD 3850 cards (reference cards, build by ati) have this problem. I don't know if they relased a fixed bios... I'll take a look.

(edit) Now that I think about it, maybe it did regulate the fan speed, but only if the GPU reached 100?C, and then it would just set the fan speed at 100% (that's like having a vacuum cleaner inside the case). Not a very smart regulation :P

(edit2): Seems like there ARE fixed bioses for this problem:

Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Now I'll have to find one for my card (I assume any bios for a BBA card is ok, but better be sure).
                Last edited by Fran; 19 August 2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Ok devs, I don't need the manual fan control anymore, so you can continue improving the 3D part of the driver :P. If anyone else with a PCIe 3850 256MB BBA card wants the latest BIOS:

If anyone needs a new bios for the 256MB HD3850 here is one for cards made by ATI I tried submitting it to the database last month but it still hasn't shown up in it yet, maybe someone can upload it. Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3850 256MB GDDR3 BIOS Version...

It regulates the fan speed while keeping it as quiet as possible. Be careful with the flashing

PD: Shit, I could have fixed my card 1 year and a half ago. But since I always had a means of regulating the fan speed manually (until now) I didn't do it. Sometimes the lack of features is good to search for better solutions :P

Comment

• And BTW (sorry for the spamming) I just updated to the latest drm/mesa/driver and Neverball is almost 100% glitch-free. Just a minor transparency issue with doors.

Also, the black-band flickering I got in Darwinia and Frets on Fire was caused by metacity compositing. With compositing disabled Darwinia's intro and world selection work quite well, but entering a world restarts X with

Code:
                    Backtrace:
                    0: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x26) [0x4ec126]
                    1: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6f) [0x49a0cf]
                    2: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x7f9a875d6110]
                    3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0x7f9a86ab73d4]
                    4: /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so(__driUtilUpdateDrawableInfo+0xc1) [0x7f9a73260a71]
                    5: /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so(radeonGetLock+0x68) [0x7f9a732829c8]
                    6: /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so(rcommonFlushCmdBuf+0x21) [0x7f9a7327fc81]
                    7: /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so(radeonDestroyContext+0x156) [0x7f9a7327f026]
                    8: /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so [0x7f9a732608a0]
                    9: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0x7f9a86ab8cc9]
                    10: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so(__glXFreeContext+0x6c) [0x7f9a86aaf44c]
                    11: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0x7f9a86aaf483]
                    12: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(FreeClientResources+0xd3) [0x433f93]
                    13: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(CloseDownClient+0x60) [0x4463d0]
                    14: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(Dispatch+0x210) [0x44b4e0]
                    15: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(main+0x3b5) [0x431be5]
                    16: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7f9a875c2a3d]
                    17: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x431089]
                    Frets on Fire menu works, but starting a song hangs the game.
                    Last edited by Fran; 20 August 2009, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• The recent drm patch fixed the leaking, and neverball, supertux, etc. are perfect now.

OpenArena is still messed up (triangles all over the place), but if you run it with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1, it actually runs perfectly (though it brought down X at the end of the level). I get playable framerates at 1920x1080 on my 4550, which is amazing.

I guess that there is a difference in how things are handled in direct and indirect mode. I assume that handling things directly (once the triangle issue is solved) will bring a slight speed improvement too.

Great work, this is an exciting time! My first game of Quake3 on free drivers!

Comment

Working...
                      X