No announcement yet.

Please The Chef With Linux & Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To anyone that thought I was being sexist with that news post, I apologize. I don't mean for any of that to be sexist or discriminatory in anyway. There are good male cooks and many of them at that, as with many female software engineers, etc.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I checked some of the articles, and they're not that great. I just read the cheese grater, Fingertongs and the Swiss Army Paring Knife, and they left me unimpressed. The grater is a basic plastic one, which is a no-go unless you want to change it every other month, the Knife is tested on cheese (really? unless the knife is made of butter there's no way it wouldn't work), and no test on the longevity. The Fingertongs are useless, and unlike the reviewer, no I never had any problem with a good metal tong, neither did I ever see anybody have either. And putting a piece of plastic in some boiling oil is a health hazard (chemical migrate with heat, and oil is probably the worst for that) - somebody wanted to make a few bucks, and ended up with another useless but good-looking-on-a-storeshelf piece of junk.

My wife is on Linux, and there's no way I'll let her look as that site in its current state, because that would reflect so bad on Phoronix I'd rather she never sees it.

Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        To anyone that thought I was being sexist with that news post, I apologize. I don't mean for any of that to be sexist or discriminatory in anyway.
        I didn't take it sexist at all. The articles on that site and the connection to a great site like Phoronix is what I'd have an issue with... it's like reading infomercials, or watching TV shopping channels.

Hopefully it's a good revenue source for Phoronix though.

Comment

LMAO my mom and my GF loved the website! it's quite usefull for me too.

Cheers

Comment

Does foodstruments.com constantly plug their Phoronix Test Sweet for baked goods?

Comment

I'm not bothered about the article but between me and my wife, I'm the one they call "Chef Chewi" while she can't cook to save her life! She does use Linux though.

Comment

My god they've done it!

Linux really can make me a sandwich now! Well almost.

Take that windows, we're one step closer than you are.

Comment

My girlfriend and I both cook, and we are both Linux enthusiasts. She's currently saving up to buy components to build her own desktop machine, and I'd like to be able to show her Phoronix reviews to help her pick things out, without her having to read things that insult her in between the benchmarks.

Michael's apology is a good sign, and it shows that the site owners know that it's not right to insult people like that. But the news post really needs to be changed to reflect this, I think. There are a lot of unspoken assumptions in it that a lot of people find offensive, and I think that that ought to be rectified.

Some people would take it in stride if their favorite cooking website posted an announcement about "Our new NASCAR and monster truck site that's sure to please your husband!" The fact that they wouldn't be bothered by it, though, doesn't make it any less unkind / insulting for the site's owners to lump people together like that, under a stereotype that many of them would resent or be depressed by.

Sort of like in this post on Not Always Right: http://notalwaysright.com/danica-says-eat-my-dust/2151
                  Last edited by Feathertail; 14 July 2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    i agree 104%

I am a man. I am a fit, sexy, man. And i like to cook.

bwhahahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      To anyone that thought I was being sexist with that news post, I apologize. I don't mean for any of that to be sexist or discriminatory in anyway. There are good male cooks and many of them at that, as with many female software engineers, etc.
                      Maybe you could change the article then? It is very offensive

Comment

Working...
                      X