Please The Chef With Linux & Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend products to review?

Everyone settle down about the "sexist" thing. It was a joke.

Now, will there be forums there? A way to post suggestions of products to test? As well as a Linux enthusiast I also love to home brew and would really like to know if an induction burner would work. I hear great things about induction but no one can say if it can hold 4+ gallons of water at a rolling boil for an hour with little to no tinkering. Enquiring minds want to know.

Comment

I'm quite interesed in cooking and I'm a young male. I find most females today like cooking less than males.

I'm often tired of looking into crappy sites about cooking/kitchen gadgets, lack of variety or are often oriented to their own shop products (often on the same site or separate, but the same owner).

Most of those sites shows products not available in my country too, Spain.

What about Linux software for cooking stuff? Or controlling cooking gadgets over linux, that would be quite nice

$ make coffee
      $ buy tomatoes
      $ make salad
      $ make rice
      $ get fruit

Will it have a vegetarian section? I'm still not totally vegetarian (yet), but my diet is more into that for health reasons.

I'm lately interested in the following:

- Small frdge+freezer combos:for hardcore geek sessions in front of compy and eating halthy. Those geeks working at Google use them!
      - Vegetable milk makers: Lazy and geeks get healthy. Horchata is great (specially chufa aka tigernuts) !
      - Juice makers: Beause juices are faster than eating and easier.

PS: Change ads, we all hate Hannah Montana or if our butt is fat or not :P
      Last edited by timofonic; 15 July 2009, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I think the real question here is why does Foodstrument's theme look so much better than Phoronix's? D:

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

$ make coffee
          $ buy tomatoes
          $ make salad
          $ make rice
          $ get fruit
          how about "$ make clean" ?

Seiously, have you looked at this?
          Linux home automation software and hardware using Insteon, X10, UPB, RS485 and Dallas onewire technology

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            And some people are just overly sensitive. My wife for one thought it was a great "tongue in cheek". Certainly no more offensive than many of the average headlines on the cover of many women targeted magazines.
            Yeah, well I'm not a member of any women's magazine forums otherwise I'd be telling them the exact same thing.

We're never going to achieve equality in this society unless we do everything we can to challenge lazy gender stereotyping wherever it occurs. Tongue-in-cheek or not, it's still sexist and unnecessary to cast men as technical geniuses and women as long-suffering housewives. The whole point in the FOSS movement is to promote equality and inclusion, that goes for gender as much as anything else.

/sociology major

Comment

Originally posted by alexforcefive View Post
              Yeah, well I'm not a member of any women's magazine forums otherwise I'd be telling them the exact same thing.

We're never going to achieve equality in this society unless we do everything we can to challenge lazy gender stereotyping wherever it occurs. Tongue-in-cheek or not, it's still sexist and unnecessary to cast men as technical geniuses and women as long-suffering housewives. The whole point in the FOSS movement is to promote equality and inclusion, that goes for gender as much as anything else.

/sociology major
              I fully agree. Of course this is all off topic, but so is the original article we are discussing.

I knew people from pretty much every culture in the world, living in pretty much every continent, and I am amazed at how much sexism there is, these days, in pretty much all cultures. Even in "modern" couples where "both work", the norm is for the woman to take care of everything at home in the evening, when she is dead tired.

That is the reason I do all the cooking at home, not because I am better or anything, but because it's one little way of saying no to gender discrimination and abuse.

I noticed the article was changed, but the contents were not. I would like to kindly request that the article is rewritten in a factual way, and we all get through with this.

This world will never get any better unless we all do our part ...

Comment

Ha ha this thread epitomises the reason that every day I grow to dislike the English language more and more and the "holier than thou" attitude displayed by the people advocating political correctness.

I would probably be more open to to changing my word choice if those people were not the most intolerant bunch of bipedal, higher thinking, opposable thumb wielding mammals who are trying to push us to a 1984 (the Orwell book) society.

I do not believe that a change of language to the extent that you would like equates to a positive shaping of society inasmuch as you still have each new generation trying to carve a unique niche on the world but each progressive generation succumbs further to a cultural watering down which only helps to defeat a persons passions rather than direct them into more productive means.

It's no longer freedom of speech, it's freedom of speech as long as it doesn't affect the feelings of anything capable of expressing an opinion. I'm not advocating racism, sexism or any ism because intolerance of things that people had no choice in is completely wrong and bigoted. However, being intolerant of people who do not meet your lofty standards in every way is also wrong.

I applaud Michael for taking the high road and changing the article however I shake my head at the simple minded idiots who thought the change in such an insignificant article was essential. Shame on you.

Oh and both my wife and I are great cooks and the sentiment here is shared between both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Danyul View Post
                  I applaud Michael for taking the high road and changing the article however I shake my head at the simple minded idiots who thought the change in such an insignificant article was essential. Shame on you.
                  And I applaud you for calling me an idiot. You are right, I am the intolerant one. I have great respect for Michael's contributions to Testing in Linux, and I have always talked to him with respect. Which is something I obviously can't expect from you. But I am not wasting my energy in this anymore.
                  Last edited by mendieta; 15 July 2009, 03:53 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo, of course I have typos, I am an idiot apparently ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                    would like to kindly request that the article is rewritten in a factual way, and we all get through with this.

This world will never get any better unless we all do our part ...
                    ... and while we are at it, can you please change all past and present articles to reflect this....

.. motherboard change to logicboard as not to offend the women that may be barren
                    .. daughtercard change to add in card as it may offend couples that have been trying to have a son
                    .. any references to mouse, P.E.T.A. might see this as exploitation of rodents
                    .. all references to gender specific ports.
                    ... etc ....etc

Seriously, mendieta, if you get so easily offended I would recommend disconnecting your internet, never turn on the TV or radio, never read any printed media and find yourself a nice room with no windows with painted walls with a nice neutral colour.

BTW I find your nick offensive. Nice subliminal message, Men die ta (ta is a informal english form of thank you).
                    Last edited by deanjo; 15 July 2009, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danyul View Post
                      Ha ha this thread epitomises the reason that every day I grow to dislike the English language more and more and the "holier than thou" attitude displayed by the people advocating political correctness.
                      I couldn't agree more. But this is an increasing trend in western nations. People become oversensitive to crap and it's annoying as hell. You're not allowed anymore to say anything about blacks, asians, women, homosexuals, name-what-you-will. But if you bash a white heterosexual male (which is, by wide and far, the most productive group of individuals on this planet, whether you like it or not. It is a FACT) or generalise, it's OK.

Women are inferior. Blacks are inferior*. Etc. Not because I think so, but because it's the state of things.

* 'Inferior' here meaning not 'worth less', but 'contributes less to the advancement of the human race'.

Comment

Working...
                      X