Catalyst 9.3 video corruption laptop unplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 9.3 video corruption laptop unplugged

Get a weird video corruption using Catalyst 9.3 on Intrepid Ibex ONLY when the laptop is unplugged, when its on AC no problems.

Any ideas on the solution?

- CH

Are you using an IGP like the RS690 or RS48x ? If so, it relies on the CPU's memory controller to feed the display, and if the CPU clocks down too far you could get corruption. If you are using an integrated graphics part please check your CPU clock speeds; if not then please provide more info.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Are you using an IGP like the RS690 or RS48x ? If so, it relies on the CPU's memory controller to feed the display, and if the CPU clocks down too far you could get corruption. If you are using an integrated graphics part please check your CPU clock speeds; if not then please provide more info.
      Hi,

I'm using a HP6910p laptop, which is using the Mobility Radeon x2300 card, which I believe is a discrete video card on this model of laptop. It is a derivative of the Mobility Radeon x1300 and I believe it is based on the R515/520 series.

How would I determine whether or not my "laptop-mode" is affecting my GPU? Just turn it off? How can I then use laptop-mode to spin down my HDD?

What other information can I provide?

Thanks,
      -CH

---------------------------------------

Just had a thought --> Maybe this is the problem?

Code:
      $aticonfig --list-powerstates
          core/mem      [flags]
      -----------------
        1: 128/135 MHz  [low voltage]
      * 2: 479/450 MHz  [default state]
      - CH

-------------------------

My mistake, the X2300 is a derivative of the X1250 card. It uses the M64 model and the Rv535 chipset.
      Last edited by cement_head; 09 August 2009, 11:25 AM. Reason: extra information

Comment

Code:
        POWERplay Options:
          Following options will not change the config file. 
          These options will be effective immediately. Other options on 
          the same command line will be ignored.
          --lsp, --list-powerstates
                Print information about power states and exit.
          --set-powerstate=NUMBER
                Set a power state listed by --list-powerstates.
          --auto-powerstates=on|off
                Enable/disable automatic transitions between battery and performance
                modes on AC/DC transitions. This automatic mode is enabled by default,
                and may compete with atieventsd style power management.
        Should I try

Code:
        $sudo aticonfig --auto-powerstates=off
        Any problems/downside to this other than using the battery much faster?

- CH

Comment

Shouldn't hurt...
          Test signature

Comment

yep, that was it...BUT can't be changed from xorg.conf as Option PowerState # has been depreciated and now atieventsd runs this dynamically. Catalyst driver 9.1 & 9.2 don't have this bug - SO this is a regression in 9.3, which of course means that it will NEVER be fixed.

Comment

Working...
            X