No announcement yet.

ASUS M51TA-x2, Radeon HD 3650, Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For now let's see if we can get you running with the radeon driver. I didn't see any clues about a crash in the log - can you describe what you see, and whether the machine responds at all ? If X just dies and you go back to a command prompt or something can you pastebin the output from the dmesg command ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      For now let's see if we can get you running with the radeon driver. I didn't see any clues about a crash in the log - can you describe what you see, and whether the machine responds at all ? If X just dies and you go back to a command prompt or something can you pastebin the output from the dmesg command ?
      When I use the "xorg.conf" file (either with the PCI card specified (http://pastebin.com/f9e7eb26) or not specifying (http://pastebin.com/f55906554)) it happens the same: The machine cannot load X and it returns to a command prompt, but the problem is that the monitor flickers and even the keyboard does not respond well, so what I do is ctrl+alt+del (even the computer does not respond immediately to this command).
      And from other partition I work. If I delete or rename the "xorg.conf" file, that partition (the one with Ubunut9.10b+fglrx8.661) loads perfectly well, but of course with no 3D acceleration.
      What other information/output files can I bring to you.

(Meanwhile, I sent another petition for ASUS to make a new BIOS update for this machine... At least I will continue doing that until they respond)

Comment

Originally posted by rmartinez View Post
        And from other partition I work. If I delete or rename the "xorg.conf" file, that partition (the one with Ubunut9.10b+fglrx8.661) loads perfectly well, but of course with no 3D acceleration.
        OK, what I would suggest is keeping the 9.10 partition safe so you have a fallback, and installing a clean copy of 9.10 on the other partition. That should give you the radeon driver, 2D and video acceleration, but no 3D -- then add the 3D driver on top of that.
        Test signature

Comment

OK, what I would suggest is keeping the 9.10 partition safe so you have a fallback, and installing a clean copy of 9.10 on the other partition. That should give you the radeon driver, 2D and video acceleration, but no 3D -- then add the 3D driver on top of that.
          Actually, it is what I do: I have this partition configuration:
          * sda1 (Vista32bits)
          * sda2 (swap)
          * sda3 (extended)
          + sda4 (Ubuntu 9.10beta + fglrx 8.661) [all info in this post from here]
          + sda5 (Ubuntu 9.10beta + radeon) [without installing any extra driver, 2D works great]
          + sda6 (Ubuntu 9.10beta + radeonhd) [trying to compile last kernel with experimental 3D acceleration, but so far no good results... I'm trying to follow Neo_The_User guide http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...ear#post96374]
          * sda4 (All my data)

But I didn't understood the part of "-- then add the 3D driver on top of that", to which partition are you referring? And most important, how??

Comment

Great - you're already heading in that direction. I had been hoping that we could get the drm code for 6xx/7xx 3D into 9.10 before it locked down so all you would need was mesa from edgers, but if you're building kernels I guess that didn't happen.

I had been thinking about adding the 3D driver to your sda5 partition, picking up the latest mesa 7.6 branch code (probably from an edgers build) and picking up drm from agd5f's repo.

That said, it shouldn't reall matter whether you use radeon or radeonhd, and picking up drm from the latest kernel should work as well or better, so staying with what you are doing on sda6 should also be OK. I wouldn't mess with kernel modesetting yet; don't think it has as much test coverage on laptops as it does on desktops so probably get running with user modesetting first.

I ran into problems getting 3D running after updating to karmic, so off the top of my head I guess the first thing I would try would be :

- wipe sda6 and replace with a fresh install of 9.04 (ie Jaunty)
            - build drm from the r6xx-r7xx-3d branch of agd5f's repo
            - build mesa from the 7.6 branch or pick up an edgers build

That seems like the easiest way to get 3D running for now.
            Test signature

Comment

Great - you're already heading in that direction. I had been hoping that we could get the drm code for 6xx/7xx 3D into 9.10 before it locked down so all you would need was mesa from edgers, but if you're building kernels I guess that didn't happen.

I had been thinking about adding the 3D driver to your sda5 partition, picking up the latest mesa 7.6 branch code (probably from an edgers build) and picking up drm from agd5f's repo.

That said, it shouldn't reall matter whether you use radeon or radeonhd, and picking up drm from the latest kernel should work as well or better, so staying with what you are doing on sda6 should also be OK. I wouldn't mess with kernel modesetting yet; don't think it has as much test coverage on laptops as it does on desktops so probably get running with user modesetting first.

I ran into problems getting 3D running after updating to karmic, so off the top of my head I guess the first thing I would try would be :

That seems like the easiest way to get 3D running for now.
              Thanks a lot for the help! I will do as you say and post results.

Comment

Well you could also try to specify the bus id of the 3650.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Well you could also try to specify the bus id of the 3650.
                  [Sidelight: tested of course on partition with Ubuntu9.10b+fglrx8.661)

Ok, I tried that. I specified the PCI of the discrete graphic card (PCI 2:0:0 -> hd3650) and it happened the same: X crashed, it went to the command prompt with flickering screen... But the error output was different than when specifying the integrated graphic cards (PCI 1:5:0 -> hd3200) and more similar than when no specification was done:

Error in Xorg.O.log:

(EE) fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!
                  (EE) fglrx(0): GetBIOSParameter failed
                  (EE) fglrx(0): PreInitAdatper failed
                  (EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed

xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/f28d6d67c
                  Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/f63ec9d69

What can we learn: May be when no specification is done in xorg.conf it tries to use discrete graphic card (hd3650), and that is why they have similar Error logs in the Xorg.0.log files... Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Any more ideas for this partition?? Meanwhile, I'm going to follow bridgman's idea in another partition:

Comment

Hi, for installing radeonhd, it's ok to follow this guides in this order:

(1) install radeonhd: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3AINSTALL
                    (2) install radeonhd:r6xx_r7xx_branch: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Ar6xx_r7xx_branch
                    (3) install radeonhd: DRI: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3ADRI
                    (4) install radeonhd:experimental_3D: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Aexperimental_3D
                    Last edited by rmartinez; 25 October 2009, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Well i had this laptop to test for a few h and had the same problem. If you want to test latest radeon it is more easy to check fedora daily iso images. You can put em onto usb drive with image-writer, dd or whatever you like.

if not already installed:

su
                      yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental

If somebody from fedora reads this: please use at least a symlink with the same name for everyday, i do not intent do check the names all the time again. No other distro which daily images hardcodes the date in the iso image itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X