Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next big thing....

Greetings everyone.

I on a quest to find out what the next BIG thing is. What is a big thing? No it isn't in your backyard or in your pants. I am talking about revolutionary technology that everyone picks up on and uses (well, almost). We all know technology and people change over time and I want to know, what is that BIG THING going to be? Here are some exmaples of technologies and maturity.

-Newspapers: Failing at a rapid rate. Very old and on the decline.
    -AM/FM radio: Very important technology that seems to be going by the wayside.
    -television: Very mature but slowly beginning to fall in popularity
    -internet: Growing at a rapid pace. It will start to decline eventually....
    -touch screens: have gained alot of attention recently.
    -optical media
    -stem cell research
    -the microwave
    -condoms
    -myspace
    -legal tender
    -x86 architecture
    -the car
    -oxy clean
    -jazz music
    -linux

You get the point....

Now the tricky part is trying to predict what things will be BIG before they get BIG. 2 years ago I would have told you that facebook was for college students and asians, now look at it. So lets put our heads together and post what YOU think is the next BIG thing. It can be hardware, software, material, non material, theory or pretty much anything. Good luck .

They do say Facebook is already on the decline though. (And it definitely isn't mature technology, never has been - rather buggy crap whose every change users have complained about)

Comment

yea it is. Some of the decisions they made were not very swift such as the idea to make everyones pictures their own. They reversed that idea but the damage was done.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        yea it is. Some of the decisions they made were not very swift such as the idea to make everyones pictures their own. They reversed that idea but the damage was done.
        Including that they broke the original fully functional layout in favour of trying to experimenting on Facebook come up with a new one. There was a lot of complaints about it at the time and people got pissed at Facebook because the new UI made it hard to use. Now after maybe a year or so they've finally managed to come up with a user interface that has about everything the original one had, just in different places. Despite major complaints they still haven't included an application whitelisting feature in your feeds so that you would only see feeds from an application you want to see them from. Then the chat: they introduced an AJAX-only hack that "disconnects" every now and then and people very commonly have had to resort to regular messages. (now that those aren't broken on Facebook too) Because of zero interoperability with other IM protocols people have written AJAX plugins into IM programs that in term work more or less as horribly as the original cludge.
        All in all, using Facebook has felt like running an experimental platform whose stability no one seriously cares about. That's why I said it's not anywhere near mature. It'll likely be dead before it matures.
        Last edited by nanonyme; 10 July 2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Facebook managed to motivate people just as myspace did. You could consider social networking as a whole to be that big idea. Hardly a new concept in the case of facebook but what they did, although it didn't work half the time, was big.

Comment

Getting people to connect is hardly a new idea. I was told by a friend Germans did a similar concept to Facebook just before it but it was then sold to direct marketers along with personal information of the users for big bucks. I see as their only accomplishment the integration of games and quizzes and the Facebook Platform which also is the source of all the feed spam Faceook users receive today... I don't really see Facebook as anything that big. What really was the big invention was that people realized they don't have to use Facebook to communicate with Facebook users. They set up their Facebook accounts to work together with blogging utilities and Twitter (support for both of which have been built by individual users with Facebook Platform) and such and have no need anymore to use the inconvenient UI Facebook provides. So the biggest merit of Facebook is doing something that will likely kill themselves. Shall we give them a Darwin award yet?

Comment

this isnt a debate about what facebook is or isnt.

Although i am intrigued about this german one as I have never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                Greetings everyone.

I on a quest to find out what the next BIG thing is. What is a big thing? No it isn't in your backyard or in your pants. I am talking about revolutionary technology that everyone picks up on and uses (well, almost). We all know technology and people change over time and I want to know, what is that BIG THING going to be? Here are some exmaples of technologies and maturity.

-Newspapers: Failing at a rapid rate. Very old and on the decline.
                -AM/FM radio: Very important technology that seems to be going by the wayside.
                -television: Very mature but slowly beginning to fall in popularity
                -internet: Growing at a rapid pace. It will start to decline eventually....
                -touch screens: have gained alot of attention recently.
                -optical media
                -stem cell research
                -the microwave
                -condoms
                -myspace
                -legal tender
                -x86 architecture
                -the car
                -oxy clean
                -jazz music
                -linux

You get the point....

Now the tricky part is trying to predict what things will be BIG before they get BIG. 2 years ago I would have told you that facebook was for college students and asians, now look at it. So lets put our heads together and post what YOU think is the next BIG thing. It can be hardware, software, material, non material, theory or pretty much anything. Good luck .
                Headlines from the future:

Phoronix reviews the Samsung Holographic display now with Surround Scent technology.

Can Windows 13 overtake Apples OS XI and mark the comeback of MS?

PC World's Top obsolete computing technologies
                #1 The keyboard

Week 13 of the Senate investigation of the Free Software Foundation embezzlement scam

Michael Jackson spotted at 7-11

Google broke after cloud computing found easily exploitable and insecure.

X.Org - where are they now

Pulse Audio - still broken

Comment

The next big thing will be Phoronix once God steals everyone's $10...

Comment

lol @ pulseaudio. Its funny kuz its true

Comment

Working...
                    X