Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound promising?

Comment

The next big thing would be that we'll be using teleportation to get from one place to another

Comment

Have you read Larry Niven's "Theory and Practice of Teleportation" ?
        Test signature

Comment

Perhaps biochemistry will explode.
          Then we can all have flying horses, plants that produce our electricity, and living items that grow stronger with time and recover from injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            Here's the abstract & an article,

Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Like a turbo-charged buggy-whip, this is a substantial incremental improvement to a crummy technology. There are lots of lithium battery varients, w/ vanadium and metal hydrides, phosphates, perhaps Li-S is among the best.

Here is the deal with electro-chem cells energy density ...
            720 kJ/kg - commercial lithium ion batteries
            9360 kJ/kg - theoretical limit of Li-S cells (Waterloo cells
            are about 1/4th this IICC)

So the theoretical limit (which is certainly impractical) is only 13 times better than practical Li-ion batteries. There are already small laptop powering fuel cells around 2700 kJ/kg and larger fuel cells can be highly efficient. These could approach something like 100,000 kJ/kg. There are other issues besides power density wrt battery and fuel cell technology. The cells are currently very expensive, but that isn't a fundamental problem.
            ===

For massive power storage, like for grid power storage, efficiency of the storage is the biggest issue. Internal resistance losses and small number of recharge cycles make any lithium battery unacceptable.
            ===
            Don't get me wrong - Li-S cells might be a great improvement in hybrid vehicles, but fuel cells with some battery storage will eventually leave electro-chem cells in the dust I think. See the Honda FCX, 107HP, 267 mile range. The hurdle is driving the fuel cell membrane & tank cost down.

Comment

very yummy bits. Thx stevea

Comment

I just thought of something recently. Anyway:
                I've been using the Win7 RC recently and I personally think it sucks. It may be technically superior to Vista, in that compatibility and performance has been greatly improved, and it might be more secure, but it does nothing to resolve the traditional Windows problems: Microsoft is absolutely positive that you are an idiot and treats you as such, and you can only actually make rough changes to the configuration.

I think this is a bit related because Microsoft is going out of it's way to create a multimedia/home OS, something where the "prettiness" of the interface comes before and frequently interferes with the functionality of the OS.
                IMHO, I see this as a pathetic by Microsoft to hold on to whatever corporate desks they can, but I can't believe that such a big company could be so stupid. A lot of people say we haven't had the real computer revolution yet, and that got me thinking.
                We have had two computer revolutions so far:
                The first revolutionized the way we do business.
                The second revolutionized the way we communicate.

Perhaps the third will be a social revolution. Web apps are going crazy, with all this facebook, twitter and pandora stuff. Maybe in the near future everyone will have internet access in the US ('bout damn time) at home and in their pocket, and we can all carry pretty devices to do nice stuff.

In short, the next big thing will be the overdue death of television and crappy, single sided programming.

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                  I just thought of something recently. Anyway:
                  I've been using the Win7 RC recently and I personally think it sucks. It may be technically superior to Vista, in that compatibility and performance has been greatly improved, and it might be more secure, but it does nothing to resolve the traditional Windows problems: Microsoft is absolutely positive that you are an idiot and treats you as such, and you can only actually make rough changes to the configuration.
                  im down with the rest of what you said but i can relate to this. Win7 is officially removed from my computer to the degree that i shat on the disk. Does anyone else find the start menu they brought in from vista to be annoying as hell?

They create a restrictive OS. The idea is to tell you what to use your computer for. it will face the same adoption issues as vista I predict.

Actually you know what, im going to spoof the ad's they putting out here. "im a PC and im 6 years old". Well they have made it very clear that the target audience is 6 year olds. I'll do the same thing and just be like, "im a linux user and im 18 years old".

very related. The fall of microshaft would be a very big thing .

Comment

Working...
                  X