Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future Of EGL On Linux With Mesa, Eagle

Phoronix: The Future Of EGL On Linux With Mesa, Eagle
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is it just my idea or this just complicates things more

i mean everything is moving to gallium

why dont just make wayland use gallium -which is something i thing is possible with the current egl in mesa-

anyone cares to explain

Comment

Yeah Michael really sucks at explaining anything. I guess eagle makes it possible to use DRI drivers without X.

Comment

I didn't see anything actually wrong in the article, it was just short and didn't go into what EGL was or the nuances of what was different between EGL and Eagle (Kristian's blog post does that).

EGL was designed so that embedded apps could use OpenGL ES (in Linux-speak, a DRI client driver) with as little overhead as possible, ie there's just enough API to create drawing surfaces and allow OpenGL ES to co-exist with any native drawing functions the underlying system might have.

Eagle seems to differ from a standard EGL implementation in a couple of ways, partly by being focused on a single environment and partly by being able to bypass some of the integration mechanisms in EGL and go directly to GEM etc...
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I didn't see anything actually wrong in the article, it was just short
          that was basically my point; the article was just like "the xserver now has CAF(cryptic acronym four)".

As far as I understand it now EGL is an API similar to GLUT and there is an MESA implementation which uses GLX/ Gallium and there is the Eagle implementation which talks directly to DRI2.

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
            that was basically my point; the article was just like "the xserver now has CAF(cryptic acronym four)".
            The articles are padded long enough as it is without having to spell out every TLA. Just use the right-click-search thing to look it up on Wikipedia.

Comment

Working...
            X