Google announces netbook OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google announces netbook OS

Insights from Googlers into our products, technology, and the Google culture

Sounds like Linux kernel + stripped down X.org (maybe Wayland?) + network management of some sort + web browser = Google Chrome OS.

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    + network management of some sort +
    Probably web-based admin to cut out the window management entirely. I wonder if they can get away without an X server and just use the frame buffer. Splashtop appears to use X+blackbox, but if everything is presented through the browser, that's your window manager.

Comment

i highly doubt that the window manager will be wayland

if it is not a stripped X then they might have developed their own solution

we ll see...

Comment

We serve the newest news about tech, linux tutorials and resources for development.

Comment

Cool development... but is it me or are their targets what Ubuntu and Fedora are working on at the moment?

In that case I've a working copy here of ubuntu 9.10 for them

Comment

I guess google is taking things like Eeebuntu NBR and Moblin one step ahead and trying to make its own distro to rival these.

As they say, when it comes to linux, the more the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
              Yup yup, I'm waiting for the day when they'll support KMS/DRI2, until then I'm stuck with fbcon on few of my machines. archlinux base + mplayer + directfb + no xorg = sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
                I guess google is taking things like Eeebuntu NBR and Moblin one step ahead and trying to make its own distro to rival these.

As they say, when it comes to linux, the more the merrier.
                Well said.

The interesting thing is that Google has the money, connections, technical *and* marketing expertise to ensure netbook vendors will preinstall its OS. I wouldn't be surprised if they outsell Moblin within a few months of release (outsell in the wide sense, since the OS will probably be free).

Comment

Working...
                X