Mythtv install failing with ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythtv install failing with ATI

I tried to (re)install mythdora 10.21 - fedora10 with myth 0.21 - (from installation CD, not liveCD) over the last few days, on a machine using an ATI graphics card, and the install fails. Hard. Just locks up, the machine stops responding.

Reset and try again, just keeps happening. Tried command line installer, setting noprobe (hoping the graphics card detection was the problem), but couldn't find the driver for my DVD.

Have given up on ATI and am using a spare Nvidia card with a noisy fan.

Are there any 'tricks' to installing myth on an ATI system? Or, alternatively, any way to upgrade from an nvidia to ATI (I understand there are some hairy issues to do with incompatabilities between the ati and nvidia drivers)?

Some background:
    I have a machine with an ASUS M3A78-EM (builtin ATI graphics).
    Until very recently I was using a spare PCIe Nvidia graphics card rather than the builtin graphics because I only had an old crappy TV with composite, and the builtin graphics doesn't support that.

It worked fine. The grapics card fan was noisy, so I was keen to 'upgrade'.

I got myself a nice new shiny 24" 1080p display over the weekend, so I decided to ditch the nvidia card and move to the builtin ATI. Save power, less noise, high-def picture, sounds great, yes?

I tried to upgrade, and it kinda sorta worked, but the machine would freeze during playback (live TV or recording, didn't matter). Suspecting conflicts between the previously installed nvidia drivers and the newly installed ATI ones (fglrx), and seeing nothing of interest in any /var/log/ files, I decided to just do a fresh install.

And it failed. Repeatedly. Would just halt during the installation, while it was copying packages. And always at the same spot, while installing PersonalCopy-Lite.

I tried noprobe and failed (I couldn't find the right DVD drivers) and other things like manually setting the resolution to something safe like 640x480, with no joy.

Suspecting a problem with the inbuilt graphics, I switched to a PCIe ATI graphics card, and saw exactly the same problem.

I saw no messages come up before it would die, and I once tried to recover the installation to see if there were any logs, to no avail (very likely I was looking in the wrong spot).

At that point I gave up and am now back to using the Nvidia card with its nasty noisy fan.

So, as I asked above, are there any 'tricks' to installing myth on an ATI system? Or, alternatively, any way to upgrade from an nvidia to ATI (I understand there are some hairy issues to do with incompatabilities between the ati and nvidia drivers)?

Big thanks for reading this far.

fedora 10 appears to have issues with radeon driver - not sure what version it ships.

I'd try a more recent distro since the 2.6.27 kernel is now fairly old and you'd probably have more luck booting something newer. As Mythdora 11 is in pre-release, maybe Mythbuntu 9.04?

Comment

Working...
    X