Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Media Player Reaches Version 1.0

Phoronix: VLC Media Player Reaches Version 1.0

For those of you that use VLC as your media player of choice or those looking for a new media player, head on over to VideoLAN.org as version 1.0.0 of this growingly popular free software application has been released. VLC 1.0.0 has support for live recording, new HD codecs (including Blu-ray and AES3), new formats, new encoders, and many other new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this in QT4?

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
      Is this in QT4?
      Just like VLC 0.9, yes. Which is a great thing.

Comment

yayyy!! What a great software VLC ! And lucky thing they said goodbye to wxwidgets and is now in Qt4!

Comment

Care to elaborate on the "Blu-ray" support? I was under the influence that the support was for LPCM and True-HD, not for Blu-ray per se.

Comment

Anybody knows about the situation of Lagarith and VLC/ffmpeg? Otherwise congrats. VLC often helped my playing various stuff.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by phelin View Post
              Care to elaborate on the "Blu-ray" support? I was under the influence that the support was for LPCM and True-HD, not for Blu-ray per se.
              Well, it's "better" Blu-Ray support, I guess. AFAIK there's still no way to access an encrypted disc on-the-fly like libdvdcss.

Anyway, congrats to VLC!

Comment

Congrats

While I personally don't use VLC, I still believe it to be a very important program, and actually the *only* OSS player that's self-standing (i.e. no xine, no MPlayer, no gstreamer dependencies).

Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                  While I personally don't use VLC, I still believe it to be a very important program, and actually the *only* OSS player that's self-standing (i.e. no xine, no MPlayer, no gstreamer dependencies).

Congrats.
                  Huh? Mplayer and xine can both be compiled the same way to use internal solutions instead of depending on external libs.

There is also MPC on windows.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 07 July 2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Xine isn't cross-platform AFAIK

MPC requires DirectShow codecs

The cross-platform MPlayer experience is a bit more complicated than VLC.

VLC provides a pretty seamless cross-platform experience and is by default built-in with everything needed for playback.

Comment

Working...
                    X