Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will AMD's XvBA Beat Out NVIDIA's VDPAU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silent Storm View Post
    It was called VideoShaders and VideoSoap. Did anyone hear it? It's unlikely because nobody except ATI tech demos used it. It was a CPU independent video acceleration and post-processing pipeline and worked very well.
    Since Geforce FX (maybe even before, not so sure), there was also some hardware video decoding acceleration through XvMC, and has always been here, until Geforce 8, which got VDPAU, and as far as i remember (that was a long time ago), the video decoding was almost totally dischard to the GPU (on a athlon 2500+ i had less than 10% of CPU activity) for MPEG2, others codecs could have been also accelerated if someone ever done some code to use this motion compensation in it, but noone ever did :/

Comment

Once again Phoronix and its lame AMD articles....

Comment

Originally posted by phhusson View Post
        Since Geforce FX (maybe even before, not so sure), there was also some hardware video decoding acceleration through XvMC, and has always been here, until Geforce 8, which got VDPAU, and as far as i remember (that was a long time ago), the video decoding was almost totally dischard to the GPU (on a athlon 2500+ i had less than 10% of CPU activity) for MPEG2, others codecs could have been also accelerated if someone ever done some code to use this motion compensation in it, but noone ever did :/
        GeForce FX was the first family that came with the ShaderFX and CinemaFX (or CineFX) engines, you are right, but 8500 family is older than FX family IIRC. Also Rage64Pro had a hardware DVD decoder which Creative made some fortune by selling as an additional card (which was different than ATI's anyway).

Whatever, this is not a flame war. My point was that ATI is consistently the first company to innovate things and to fail since they're unable to market and use it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          Once again Phoronix and its lame AMD articles....
          +1

This "In the future there will be robots" kind of news is getting old. By the time XvBA is oficially published there would be a new X.org version and, guess what? It won't be supported by the Catalyst driver so we'll be stuck with the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Storm View Post
            Also Rage64Pro had a hardware DVD decoder which Creative made some fortune by selling as an additional card (which was different than ATI's anyway).
            Creative didn't use a Rage64 based card for it's DVD decoder card. It was a clone of the Sigma Designs Hollywood +.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Creative didn't use a Rage64 based card for it's DVD decoder card. It was a clone of the Sigma Designs Hollywood +.
              I thought that I said that by saying "which was different than ATI's anyway". =)

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                GEM vs TTM
                Err, pretty much everyone is using GEM API. Even radeon open drivers which are implementing GEM API with TTM. There is no issue there, seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Well vdpau is open. Even Via's chrome now supports it.
                  Sorry, I was thinking of the CUDA SDK license (which has an "only with Nvidia products" clause). Via/S3 supporting VDPAU changes the landscape somewhat, although it would really need to work with Intel IGPs to even have a chance at being a universal standard. Is anyone working on that?

Comment

Intel Poulsbo only supports VA-API, but it seems Intel bought that driver as closed source only it seems and I don't think there will be many updates for it. There exists a VDPAU to VA-API wrapper which was used for benchmarking too on that site and VA-API patches for mplayer. So when the xvba wrapper to VA-API would be released for everybody that should be enough for now.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                      GEM vs TTM

XvBA vs X-Video vs VDPAU vs VA-API

When will this API/subsystem nightmare end? Please make a unified API for hardware video decoding, this is a pain in the ass...
                      GEM provides a unified API for kernel MM, which we've agreed is fairly useful. The MM being used is TTM, except for Intel, which uses GEM as their MM since is provides special optimizations for integrated chipsets. This is not a problem.

Xv (Xvideo) is a colorspace conversion and scaling system. It is not really video playback, although it's useful for putting video frames to the screen quickly.

I am completely okay with XvMC, VDPAU, VAAPI, XvBA, and/or any other video decoding frontend in Gallium. Completely. I'm just not doing it right now.

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                      Apparently there was a SOC2009 idea for VDPAU via Gallium:

I don't know if it materialized, but this is _really_ the way to go!
                      That one was my suggestion, actually. I dropped it when marcheu declined to mentor, and I found myself in the unenviable position of mentoring. :3

Comment

Working...
                      X