Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any update: HD Radeon 4xxx v.s. Nviida 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Whatever. I did a search for Leadtek video cards and got practically nothing. I am not sure where you or the other guy ordered their cards but I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Whatever happened was in the past. Since there is no choice with those cards or at least not available in my neck of the woods, what I said stands. Maybe XFX is bad now, I don't know. That's for XFX owners or former owners to decide. I just thought it was good that they allowed mods of their cards.
    Must be using Bing for a search engine. Leadtek shows millions of hits on google as well there are a crap load of product reviews on them.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Must be using Bing for a search engine. Leadtek shows millions of hits on google as well there are a crap load of product reviews on them.
      I used Google.

There's not one Leadtek video card available on Newegg, for e.g., and vendors I would check had none as well. I was just saying I would have to go out of my way to find one so I would not bother.

Comment

Well, I guess I could try to return it, but technically that'd mean sending it to the online shop I bought it from, then waiting for like 1 months to probably just receive my same squealing card back... or a used card of someone else who sent in his card...

I was thinking about covering the whole card in hot glue tomorrow, which would obviously void the warranty but also might reduce the squealing as reported online in previous places. (http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008...280-squealing/)

Before I do that, I'll try to exactly locate the source, because if it's not the capacitors, but rather the voltage regulator, then obviously glueing all the card would be pointless and sending it in would make more sense. It's so annoying and loud, that I can't live with that card anymore in its current state, that's for sure.

I found an online shop which guarantees that their cards don't squeals though. They test them all and I think you can return them hassle free if they should squeal. (but I got to do some further research on their return policies before considering to buy one of their cards)

I did some extensive research on the return policies of the vendor I bought the squealing card from (not the manufacturer) and both people on the Internet and people I know who tried to return something, only have bad things to report. Waiting at least 4 weeks, having to send in stuff multiple times after it got sent back in the same state and so on. I guess that's the price you have to pay when you go with the cheap stuff. They cut down almost all their service...

If they at least had a physical shop. I hate talking to people on the phone, basically people at those hotline lie to you... that's what the people at my ISP hotline do, that's what the people do at almost every hotline I've ever called.
        Last time the guy even said something similar to "Sir, I'm not a technician, I'm just a salesman, I don't understand what you're saying."

If they had a physical shop it'd be way easier to just talk one of the employees into taking the card and giving me a brand new one in exchange. I even talked people into "taking stuff back", that I never bought in that shop, but rather in another one and I knew that the other one would not take it without the recipe...

I already tried clocking the card down which did not help reducing the sound, reducing the voltage might help though, at least that's what I read today. I might try that if glueing does not help. And if that also doesn't help I'll probably buy a new one. Sending it in would IMO just be a waste of time. (well, and i couldn't send it in anymore after glueing around on it...)

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          I used Google.

There's not one Leadtek video card available on Newegg, for e.g., and vendors I would check had none as well. I was just saying I would have to go out of my way to find one so I would not bother.
          Newegg doesn't have alot of brands. Lack of finding them on there hardly qualifies them as a unknown or junk. Newegg, TigerDirect, etc are all loaded full of junk as well as some quality products.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Actually restricting what items can be used on what boards is not illegal at all although they would frowned upon by many of the standard alliances and possibly be kicked out.
            No, it would violate antitrust laws in the US and anticompetitive laws in the EU. Think of Microsoft bundling a browser or extending Java to render it incompatible. In terms of engineering, the only way you can exclude a certain type of card is to either extend the PCI-E standard on your card and your mobo so that they're only compatible together or to detect the brand and exclude that. Both of these actions violate competition laws.

You're probably thinking of certification. Yes, a vendor can certify its own products to work "better" with a platform, but everyone who implements PCI-E has to guarantee that all PCI-E cards that obey the standard can work.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
              Well, crumja, i don't feel like buying an ATI card for 300 bucks just to test if the drivers are suitable for my needs...
              You know you can return it, right? Alternatively, find a friend who owns an ATI card.

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
                No, it would violate antitrust laws in the US and anticompetitive laws in the EU. Think of Microsoft bundling a browser or extending Java to render it incompatible. In terms of engineering, the only way you can exclude a certain type of card is to either extend the PCI-E standard on your card and your mobo so that they're only compatible together or to detect the brand and exclude that. Both of these actions violate competition laws.

You're probably thinking of certification. Yes, a vendor can certify its own products to work "better" with a platform, but everyone who implements PCI-E has to guarantee that all PCI-E cards that obey the standard can work.
                Sorry but your wrong. This has been done for years. For example you cannot run SLi setup on a ATI chipset board and vice vera. You cannot use a off the shelf video card in a Mac. Hell you can't even make a chipset for another venders CPU unless you have licensing rights. Then there is also the fact that some devices (raid cards and ide controllers come in mind) will actually blacklist or drop the drives to a lower performance mode then others to address compatibility issues. Another example of this is Nvidia cards having to drop to 1x AGP mode on the old irongate amd chipsets.

Sorry but limiting functionality and features are very commonplace in the PC world and it is not illegal at all.

Comment

Okay, I just checked Leadteks return policies for Europe.
                  So okay, if they decide that the squealing is returnworthy, I have to pay about 10 bucks for shipping to the Czech Republic.
                  If they decide that squealing is normal, then I have to pay about 50 bucks because of shipping and their nice fee...
                  That'd already be 1/3rd of a new card.

I'm pretty sure that I lost some performance though, and the first time this squealing occurred was connected to a series of bluescreens, so... well, I'm not sure whether to return it or not.
                  There definitely is a difference now. Take any LGP game. Usually I could easily skip the Intro. Since the squealing occurred, when I press escape to skip the Intro, the picture will hang for about 5-10 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXX View Post
                    Well, I guess I could try to return it, but technically that'd mean sending it to the online shop I bought it from, then waiting for like 1 months to probably just receive my same squealing card back... or a used card of someone else who sent in his card...

I was thinking about covering the whole card in hot glue tomorrow, which would obviously void the warranty but also might reduce the squealing as reported online in previous places. (http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008...280-squealing/)

Before I do that, I'll try to exactly locate the source, because if it's not the capacitors, but rather the voltage regulator, then obviously glueing all the card would be pointless and sending it in would make more sense. It's so annoying and loud, that I can't live with that card anymore in its current state, that's for sure.

I found an online shop which guarantees that their cards don't squeals though. They test them all and I think you can return them hassle free if they should squeal. (but I got to do some further research on their return policies before considering to buy one of their cards)

I did some extensive research on the return policies of the vendor I bought the squealing card from (not the manufacturer) and both people on the Internet and people I know who tried to return something, only have bad things to report. Waiting at least 4 weeks, having to send in stuff multiple times after it got sent back in the same state and so on. I guess that's the price you have to pay when you go with the cheap stuff. They cut down almost all their service...
                    That sucks. I am always hesitant to buy online for that reason. In case I have an issue with the part. It's much easier to buy locally and then just bring it back. But, prices locally are really horrible.

If I was you, I'd try following suggestions in that article. It was interesting. I didn't know that the squealing was more widespread. I haven't heard about it til now. I think gluing is your last resort. If you're willing to do that, I would just find a super cheap card to use in the meantime and send it back and try to find the receipt. But, try using other power alternatives to see if it helps. It is the easiest and hopefully cheapest to try.

Comment

I think I'll go with the glueing and if it doesn't work I might go with one of the "non squealing" certified cards of that vendor I mentioned before.

After reading that Leadtek makes you pay if they don't send you a new card, I kinda lost my will to send it in, although I think that it's a serious flaw on the other hand.
                      I know where my receipt is and I also thought about sending it in and getting some cheap card in the meantime, but if I take the cost of a cheap card (around 25 bucks is the cheapest I could find here)
                      and then the cost of them deciding that my card works flawless (lol, who knows, i todays weird world, it might come that way...) which is around 50 bucks... well, a new one is 150.. so that'd be already half the money for which I'd get a brand new card in any shop, without having to wait and so on...
                      So basically there's the risk of just "losing" at least 50 bucks if I send it in, versus getting a brand new card for 150, even a guaranteed squeal free one.

I wish there was a reasonably cheap hardware store close by at which I could just buy all my stuff and return it hassle free. Well, there actually is a good hardware store nearby which has reasonable prices, but they also are strange with returning stuff. I once tried to return a broken harddrive (2 days after buying it) and I just wanted the same harddrive again, no money back or anything. The guy was making a drama out of it and wanted to test all kinds of stuff. Then I just started talking to the guy next to him and he did a quick test which found nothing but still exchanged my harddrive, it has been working good ever since.

I hate all this shit. They try to slip past their responsibility whereever they can, and try to tell you that the weirdest things are normal...

Comment

Working...
                      X