Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluendo Releases Its Own Linux DVD Player

Phoronix: Fluendo Releases Its Own Linux DVD Player

Fluendo, the company that's largely behind G-Streamer and produces legal audio/video codecs for Linux, has now launched its own DVD player solution for Linux. Fluendo's new DVD player software is, of course, built upon the G-Streamer framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's nice to have a legal DVD-Player for linux. But honestly: Who cares? VLC or xine can play dvds since like forever. Yes they have legal issues. But most people don't care about these.

The interesting thing would be bluray playback. MPlayer and VLC can play ripped Blurays at the moment. But ripping them is a bit of a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Noneus View Post
      That's nice to have a legal DVD-Player for linux. But honestly: Who cares? VLC or xine can play dvds since like forever. Yes they have legal issues. But most people don't care about these.

The interesting thing would be bluray playback. MPlayer and VLC can play ripped Blurays at the moment. But ripping them is a bit of a hassle.
      This law should definitely not hold water. Businesses don't want to be the ones to challenge it though, so they do like Canonical and resort to playing nice with the laws and hope someone else does.

What we need are outraged citizens pushing to get this stupid laws changed.

Comment

I just bought it.

I like their pricing/support structure.

The player unfortunately uses 100% of my CPU and the image keeps freezing every couple of seconds. I guess they still have some work to do :-)

Comment

how much money is for the licence and how much for the development effort? thanks.

very nice that they do it.

Comment

You can look up their website :-)

It's 20 eur for the player with 1 year updates and then 5 eur for another year of updates. Fairly reasonable, even for me (I'm in a 3rd world country).

Comment

The only reason for a new Linux DVD player would be support for DVDs with special copyprotection, css would be no problem, but bad sector protections in all variants cause standard solutions to fail. LinDVD supports those, no idea if that player does.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                The only reason for a new Linux DVD player would be support for DVDs with special copyprotection, css would be no problem, but bad sector protections in all variants cause standard solutions to fail. LinDVD supports those, no idea if that player does.
                According to their FAQ on it, the special copy protections are not supported with Fluendo's DVD player.

Some discs can not play with an error saying something like "Could not read NAV pack..."
                Yes this is a known problem. This can mean different things : the disc is damaged or dirty, the DVD drive lens is damaged or dirty, or the disc uses some special protection tricks to protect from ripping programs.

Comment

Then don't buy that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Then don't buy that crap.
                    Totally agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X