Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interview With A Linux Game Porter

Phoronix: An Interview With A Linux Game Porter

Recently on our forums, Frank Earl (who goes by the synonym Svartalf), has been seeking the input of Linux gamers as to what games they would like to see ported to Linux. Frank has been working for Linux Game Publishing for a few years porting various titles to Linux and has done work independently on bringing new software from Windows to Linux. Frank was overwhelmed by the response on our forums and it has even led to new Linux games with many other possible ports being looked into. To get his view as where Linux gaming is currently at, he has answered a few of our questions about Linux game porting, Linux gaming in general, and other questions that may be of interest to gamers and Linux enthusiasts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great interview, thanks. ^^

I was especially interested in how plausible it is to port certain games, as well as how easy the GNU/Linux OS makes porting games and creating games for it to begin with. It needs to be made as attractive to game development as possible, and for all software in general of course.

The state of sound on Linux *sounds* pretty bad indeed. Teehee.

PulseAudio still has issues.

Comment

If Frank is reading this, I would suggest setting up an ideatorrent (ideatorrent.org) at LGP so that linux gamers could vote on what games they would like to be ported to linux. That would serve two functions: LGP devs could find out easily what games have the highest demand, and the site would also show the game studios demand for their titles on linux.

On a side note a more professional web site design might also improve the image of LGP as professionals, the web site now resembles those of 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
        If Frank is reading this, I would suggest setting up an ideatorrent (ideatorrent.org) at LGP so that linux gamers could vote on what games they would like to be ported to linux. That would serve two functions: LGP devs could find out easily what games have the highest demand, and the site would also show the game studios demand for their titles on linux.
        Great idea, somthing like the Wishlist for Porting Projects thread but in a poll form...

Comment

PS3 as the Linux gaming platform of choice

Microsofts dominance on the PC is very much due to games. Most families still go for the gaming side of it. "Why should I buy a computer that cannot play the latest games". I know, I have been there too...

Still, I also have a PS3, but no XBOX360. One of the reasons is its theoretical chance of being a gaming platform for Linux. If, and that's a big IF, if someone can persuade Sony that Linux would be ideal for the PS3 for gaming too, then Microsoft would be in really big trouble.

Is it too unrealistic? I don't know, but I believe that Microsoft's investments in DirectX/XBox has sadly enough paid off in keeping gamers away from Linux.

Comment

Very interesting interview.
            I also believe that the raising linux handled market can be a lunching pad for linux gaming.
            Dematerialized distribution may also help linux gaming to rise (cf. World Of Goo).
            I've started to learn Android for a student project, and I strongly consider making small games with it.

Comment

It certainly would be interesting if Sony decided to attack Microsoft's 360/Windows relations by creating a PS3/Linux relationship. But I doubt that would profitable or worth the investment, considering the hole Sony dug themselves into with the PS3....

This was a great read Michael! I like it better when you provide us with something worth reading, instead of reporting on something that might or might not happen (ie Valve and Linux).

Comment

is that the best you could find? You just interviewed a dude with 2k+ posts on your own forums .

Comment

Watch it, or Michael will interview me next just to spite you.

Not only do I post here all the time, I even live in Toronto. Talk about boring
                  Last edited by bridgman; 03 July 2009, 09:32 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Not only do I post here all the time, I even live in Toronto. Talk about boring
                    TO is NOT the centre of the universe contrary to what TO natives wish to believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X