Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Root-less X Server Nears Reality

Phoronix: A Root-less X Server Nears Reality

One of the benefits of moving the different graphics hardware drivers over to using kernel mode-setting, an in-kernel GPU memory manager (whether it be GEM or TTM), and other newer X innovations is the possibility of now running the X Server without root privileges. By doing so, this of course improves the security since this very large chunk of code is no longer running with all of these high-privileged rights. Due to now living in a KMS-enabled world, at least on the Intel and ATI side (the NVIDIA side is still slowly but surely coming via Nouveau), it's rather easy to get the X Server running without any special rights...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Confusing headline, I thought root-less as in without a root window..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Confusing headline, I thought root-less as in without a root window..
      I do not see anything confusing about it. I wonder what will nvidia do, nouveau's KMS is rather in good shape, all of my cards work flawlessly (260 GTX ~ 9600GT ~ 6600GT ~ 8800GT).

Comment

Come on Nvidia, go for it damn it.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          I do not see anything confusing about it. I wonder what will nvidia do, nouveau's KMS is rather in good shape, all of my cards work flawlessly (260 GTX ~ 9600GT ~ 6600GT ~ 8800GT).
          i thought nvidia was not involved at all in nouvueau...

Comment

Originally posted by krogy View Post
            i thought nvidia was not involved at all in nouvueau...
            Hmm who said that they are, or somebody misunderstood me?

Comment

The NVIDIA driver just needs access to the /dev/nvidia* files.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                I do not see anything confusing about it.
                The term "rootless" has a particular meaning with respect to X servers, and that meaning has nothing to do with the superuser. It's exactly as curaga says.

Comment

OK, am I missing something here? I use Gentoo linux and binary nvidia drivers. I am able to run X as a user (without root privileges) right now.
                  Last edited by gregy; 02 July 2009, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregy View Post
                    OK, am I missing something here? I use Gentoo linux and binary nvidia drivers. I am able to run X as a user (without root privileges) right now.
                    The X executable has its setuid bit set in most distributions.

E.g.

Code:
                    jeff@tony:~$ stat /usr/bin/X
                      File: `/usr/bin/X'
                      Size: 10472     	Blocks: 24         IO Block: 4096   regular file
                    Device: fc00h/64512d	Inode: 593864      Links: 1
                    Access: (6755/-rwsr-sr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
                    Access: 2009-05-02 13:13:07.000000000 +1000
                    Modify: 2009-04-03 18:44:01.000000000 +1100
                    Change: 2009-05-02 13:03:58.000000000 +1000

Comment

Working...
                    X