Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5 Officially

Default Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5 Officially

Phoronix: Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5 Officially

Finally, the Mozilla Foundation has announced the official release of Mozilla Firefox 3.5. This sizable open-source browser update (formerly known as Firefox 3.1) brings HTML 5 support, a new JavaScript engine (a.k.a...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzM1NA

Why they don't release FF for x86_64?
    There are only nightly builds, not official but it works, only TraceMonkey doesn't work because it doesn't support 64-bit! http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/tracemonkey-demo/

I only hope Arora gets better.

now please not flash crap any more without alternative! thanks

/me runs away and hides

I wonder what they use to provide Theora decoding?

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I wonder what they use to provide Theora decoding?
    I believe they're just using the standard libtheora code: http://www.theora.org/svn/

I know it's something upstream, they didn't create their own implementation.

So what sites are there that are already using OpenVideo?
    mozilla.org obviously, and all videos on there are working for me.
    Gooogle also brings up openvideo.dailymotion.com, but that's not working for me. I still get the flash-videos and a suggestion to download Firefox 3.5. Maybe it checks the user-agent string and only accepts the windows-version?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    Gooogle also brings up openvideo.dailymotion.com, but that's not working for me. I still get the flash-videos and a suggestion to download Firefox 3.5. Maybe it checks the user-agent string and only accepts the windows-version?
    It's doing the same for me on Windows. The demo page seems to work fine, though.

edit: it gives me the <video> version if I disable the Flash plugin.
    Last edited by Ex-Cyber; 07-01-2009 at 11:16 AM.

I'll have to check it out and see if they made some speed improvements. 3.0.x is incredibly slow on my Aspire's SSD. Still not sure why a web browser needs a SQL database...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    I'll have to check it out and see if they made some speed improvements. 3.0.x is incredibly slow on my Aspire's SSD. Still not sure why a web browser needs a SQL database...
    Word is, it's working much better on netbooks. It's certainly loading faster and working smoother on my regular PC - I guess the difference will be more pronounced on slower machines.

Wrt the SQL database, it's the faster alternative. Any other implementation the nkew address bar would almost certainly be slower than SQLite.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I believe they're just using the standard libtheora code: http://www.theora.org/svn/

I know it's something upstream, they didn't create their own implementation.
    They're using liboggplay, which is a high level API for playback purposes orchestrating libogg, libvorbis and libtheora (and other Xiph.org codecs if needed). Keeping audio and video in sync isn't trivial to do, as is seeking - liboggplay provides this and makes developing playback solutions much easier. Opera may use the same technological foundation when shipping their Theora-enabled browser - IIRC they're currently directly using libogg, libvorbis and libtheora in their experimental builds, but this may or may not change. Google Chrome is doing Theora and Vorbis with ffmpeg's libavcodec.