Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: A Fourth Release Candidate For Mesa 7.5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,411

    Default A Fourth Release Candidate For Mesa 7.5

    Phoronix: A Fourth Release Candidate For Mesa 7.5

    The release of Mesa 7.5.0, which is the first version of this open-source 3D stack to include support for Gallium3D, is running a bit behind schedule. Fortunately, however, Brian Paul has pushed out what is the fourth (and final) release candidate for the 7.5 series...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzM1MA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Die trolls, die!
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Its a damn shame that all this work is for mostly nothing because the most popular GPUs for Linux (NVIDIA with the binary driver) cannot take advantage of Mesa. Why don't the developers of Mesa work with NVIDIA to get this included in the binary drivers ??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Its a damn shame that all this work is for mostly nothing because the most popular GPUs for Linux (NVIDIA with the binary driver) cannot take advantage of Mesa. Why don't the developers of Mesa work with NVIDIA to get this included in the binary drivers ??
    Probably because NVidia has its own stack and isn't interested in supporting anything else. Besides, Mesa is mostly MIT-licensed so Nvidia should be able to grab any parts they like anyway.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Its a damn shame that all this work is for mostly nothing because the most popular GPUs for Linux (NVIDIA with the binary driver) cannot take advantage of Mesa. Why don't the developers of Mesa work with NVIDIA to get this included in the binary drivers ??
    The most popular? No, that's not true: Intel is far more popular if you measure popularity as the number of sales.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Its a damn shame that all this work is for mostly nothing because the most popular GPUs for Linux (NVIDIA with the binary driver) cannot take advantage of Mesa. Why don't the developers of Mesa work with NVIDIA to get this included in the binary drivers ??
    It would be a step backwards for Nvidia blobs.
    Speed wise and feature wise.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    The most popular? No, that's not true: Intel is far more popular if you measure popularity as the number of sales.
    Pretty sure he's talking about discreet solutions and not IGP's.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Die trolls, die!
    Posts
    525

    Default

    So let me get this straight .. NVIDIA have their own Mesa type 3D system in their driver ?? I just thought Mesa was like DirectX where the driver took advantage of the 3D system/libraries.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    So let me get this straight .. NVIDIA have their own Mesa type 3D system in their driver ?? I just thought Mesa was like DirectX where the driver took advantage of the 3D system/libraries.
    They use their own GL stack which is far more optimized then a "generic" solution like Mesa3d.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    I believe Mesa is an open-source implementation of OpenGL, and Nvidia uses their own closed-source implementation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Pretty sure he's talking about discreet solutions and not IGP's.
    GPUs cover both IGPs and discrete chips. Besides, Intel's IGPs are more popular than Nvidia's IGPs and discrete solutions put together.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •