Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No suspend or hibernate with fglrx and Ubuntu 9.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No suspend or hibernate with fglrx and Ubuntu 9.04?

Hi,

I use the latest Catalyst 9.6 with Ubuntu 9.04 (all updates) and I am somewhat not able to suspend or hibernate my PC. Older versions (9.4 and 9.5) don't work either. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? If I remember correctly I can suspend and hibernate with the opensource drivers on this PC.

Details about my PC: mainboard is an Asus M3A-H/HDMI with a discrete Sapphire RadeonHD 3470 in Hybrid Crossfire mode. Swap is 2 GB as the PC has 2 GB RAM. The complete system (except /boot) is encrypted.
    If more infos are need pls. ask!

Question is: should I be able to suspend and hibernate with fglrx and Hybrid Crossfire enabled?

Thanks. Grimsrud

Ps: By "don't be able" I mean the PC tries to power down but does not. It's just sitting there with a blank screen and a blinking "_" (don't know how to name it... maybe cursor?).

Originally posted by grimsrud View Post
    Hi,

I use the latest Catalyst 9.6 with Ubuntu 9.04 (all updates) and I am somewhat not able to suspend or hibernate my PC. Older versions (9.4 and 9.5) don't work either. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? If I remember correctly I can suspend and hibernate with the opensource drivers on this PC.

Details about my PC: mainboard is an Asus M3A-H/HDMI with a discrete Sapphire RadeonHD 3470 in Hybrid Crossfire mode. Swap is 2 GB as the PC has 2 GB RAM. The complete system (except /boot) is encrypted.
    If more infos are need pls. ask!

Question is: should I be able to suspend and hibernate with fglrx and Hybrid Crossfire enabled?

Thanks. Grimsrud

Ps: By "don't be able" I mean the PC tries to power down but does not. It's just sitting there with a blank screen and a blinking "_" (don't know how to name it... maybe cursor?).
    Mine only suspends if I turn off Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Klein View Post
      Mine only suspends if I turn off Compiz.
      Hmmm... doesn't work for me. But thanks anyway.

Grimsrud

Comment

Originally posted by grimsrud View Post
        Hi,

I'm using an older relative of your board. You could try booting a standard ubuntu-9.4 cd - and try suspend or hibernate there. I guess it won't work either.
        If it does, it really might be related to Catalyst. So you should give it a try and uninstall it from your productive system; reconfigure your xorg.conf and see, if suspend works now. If not, please do not reinstall Catalyst right-away, but try something different.

Ubuntu supports mainline-kernels now, so you can have a look ahead at what's to be expected from future releases. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ - try 2.6.31 rc - that's the one coming with Ubuntu 9.10. Fixed my standby-issues. Finally.

The big but: Catalyst 9.6 does not support kernel 2.6.30 or 2.6.31. So even if you know that the new kernel solves your problem, you cannot use it together with Catalyst and experience working 3d and working standby-modes. At least not today - but hopefully soon.

Comment

Hi oheohe,

thanks for your suggestions! I will try at least the live-CD as I don't want to mess arround with newer kernels where the fglrx-driver will not work. Maybe 9.7 will bring support for newer kernels and so I will try newer kernels than the standard on from Ubuntu 9.04.

Ty. Grimsrud

Comment

Working...
          X