OSS Radeon is working finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSS Radeon is working finally

I have a Radeon HD 2900XT lying in my cupboard for a long long time because I had truly terrible experience with fglrx drivers.

A week ago I took my GTX 260+ out of the main PC and poped the 2900XT back in for a test of how long has the OSS drive gone. The result is pretty good.

OS is Ubuntu 9.04 x64, driver is the one comes with Ubuntu
    First impression from start up using 'radeon' driver:

GDM/Desktop appears very fast. A lot faster than any of those binary blobs.
    Restart GDM is a second snap, instead of 20 seconds lock up waiting to end it process.
    Desktop 2D responsiveness also a lot faster than fglrx/nvidia binary blobs. Window redraw, move, scroll all fluid and feels very 'light' - i.e. no lag at all.
    Tear free textured video Works! yeah! Played several SD and HD video contents in mplayer, CPU usage is very low and graphics is smooth (both in image quality and tear free screen update)
    Also tried metacity composting, all went very good. The only little issue is tear free does not work anymore under composite desktop.
    Very stable, zero lockup, no scrambled screens.
    Because it does not kick the GPU into 3D frequency/voltage, the fan works very quiet and outputs considerably small amount of heat (I BIOS modded my card to 0.9v, 325/500 in 2D).

The overall experience is very positive. I think when 3D arrives, I shall dump my GTX 260+ and go back to the old class 2900XT to enjoy OSS desktop.

Thank you for your great works!
    Last edited by FunkyRider; 24 June 2009, 07:09 PM.

Try Option "EXAVsync" "on" in xorg.conf; that might help with video under compositing.

Of course it could also introduce enough delays to make things worse, which is why it defaults to "off"
    Test signature

Comment

Have you tried the radeonhd drivers? I find that they work slightly better on my HD4850. The one in Jaunty is rather "old", so it's best to get it from git:

Comment

Thanks for the updates.

Already tried the Option "EXAVsync" "on" options, still got tearing on composite XV. :-(

I will build the latest radeonhd and give it a go tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          I have a Radeon HD 2900XT lying in my cupboard for a long long time because I had truly terrible experience with fglrx drivers.

A week ago I took my GTX 260+ out of the main PC and poped the 2900XT back in for a test of how long has the OSS drive gone. The result is pretty good.

OS is Ubuntu 9.04 x64, driver is the one comes with Ubuntu
          First impression from start up using 'radeon' driver:

GDM/Desktop appears very fast. A lot faster than any of those binary blobs.
          Restart GDM is a second snap, instead of 20 seconds lock up waiting to end it process.
          Desktop 2D responsiveness also a lot faster than fglrx/nvidia binary blobs. Window redraw, move, scroll all fluid and feels very 'light' - i.e. no lag at all.
          Tear free textured video Works! yeah! Played several SD and HD video contents in mplayer, CPU usage is very low and graphics is smooth (both in image quality and tear free screen update)
          Also tried metacity composting, all went very good. The only little issue is tear free does not work anymore under composite desktop.
          Very stable, zero lockup, no scrambled screens.
          Because it does not kick the GPU into 3D frequency/voltage, the fan works very quiet and outputs considerably small amount of heat (I BIOS modded my card to 0.9v, 325/500 in 2D).

The overall experience is very positive. I think when 3D arrives, I shall dump my GTX 260+ and go back to the old class 2900XT to enjoy OSS desktop.

Thank you for your great works!
          Same here, but with a 2600. The free driver is really nice. But i wonder when we will see 3D finally? Weeks, months, years?

Comment

I'm really happy with the 2D drivers and my HD 4550. Video works great, XRender effects are nice and fast, and the whole thing is very stable. However, I have a slight problem when I turn on compositing.

As soon as I do that, windows have trouble repainting. It's as if a paint event goes missing, whenever I switch windows (especially across desktops in KDE4), I get half-repainted windows and I have to move it around so it gets some paint events, after which it redraws fine.

I've googled all over and I haven't found anything similar to this.

I've checked out the git version of radeon, hoping it might be fixed, but it's still the same. Because of this, I usually turn compositing off. I'm running a 28 kernel with the drm module I also checked out from git, as per wiki instructions, some time in May. I don't think an old drm could be the culprit, or could it?

Another thing -- DynamicPM hard froze X when waking up from DPMS, so I turned it off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

P.S. I'd also like to add that open-sourcing drivers and releasing documentation is the main reason why I went with ATi instead of nVidia on my new system. I'm willing to accept some trouble on the way, as long as the result are free drivers. Once the 3D support gets decent, I'm planning to get a stronger card.
            Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 25 June 2009, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
              Same here, but with a 2600. The free driver is really nice. But i wonder when we will see 3D finally? Weeks, months, years?
              well i have a 4850x2 and i been testing latest git mesa work with the great help of bridgman and i can say they are really near to a usable DRM/DRI/Mesa 3D implementation so wait until mesa 7.6 release for 3D and maybe kernel 2.6.31 rc5 or something like that for kernel DRM support, aka maybe a couple of months

Comment

Why would R600 DRM support show up in -rc5? Doesn't -rc mean that the merge window is closed?

Comment

as far as i am informed, 3d support is there right now, workable since few weeks, but the question ist how stable it is, and that could be better in a few weeks.

I hope to see in karmic koala in 1 or 2 weeks first 3d support. But what i not get with mesa 7.5 3d should be there why should we wait till mesa 7.6?

or did i got something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                    Why would R600 DRM support show up in -rc5? Doesn't -rc mean that the merge window is closed?
                    AFAIK, the DRM code made the merge window. It's a matter of stability now (by rc5 most bugs should have been ironed out).

Comment

Working...
                    X