VirtualBox 3.0 Beta 2 Brings SMP Performance Boosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    If vbox uses Wine libraries then they have to [contribute patches back to Wine] by copyright law.
    No, they don't. Per the GPL, they need only provide corresponding source code alongside any binaries that they distribute (or provide the "written offer to distribute", which seems to not be used very often); there is no requirement that they send anything back upstream. Stallman has even criticized such a requirement in other licenses.

Comment

But its not an Bug vom my system its a bug in VB. Its works with vmware(player, server), Qemu(KVM), vbox 2.1.4 and lower. on 2.2.0 and higher linux 64bit works fine to but only windows not. Currently i can only use vmware.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Well XP64 guest's most certainly do boot fine in vbox (got it running in a X2, Phenom and Phenom II systems). The issue you are having here looks almost identical to one I experienced with vbox months back. Turned out (after many hours of long distance with Asus engineering) that the board I was using had a BIOS issue. AMD-V was "enabled" in the bios but would only work with the built in IGP. If a add in card was used it would disable the amd-v support but still say it was enabled in the bios settings. A BIOS update corrected it once the issue was found.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        In this regards, doesn't the GPL just say that if you use or make changes to GPL code, you have to release the source?

What I meant was, it would be cool if SUn submitted patches back to WINE, so the fixes that Sun makes doesn't end only in Virtual Box.
        The wine 3d code sun imported is just in their svn repository (see d3d8/d3d9/wined3d at http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/tr.../Graphics/Wine). They haven't done anything to our 3D code except for adding a sun license header to it. The libraries make use of all the wined3d to wgl porting I did and have done nothing special themselves except for bundling the dlls.

It would certainly be nice though if they would free some of their developers to work with us to improve WineD3D. It would help both Wine and VirtualBox a lot.
        Last edited by Thunderbird; 26 June 2009, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          But its not an Bug vom my system its a bug in VB. Its works with vmware(player, server), Qemu(KVM), vbox 2.1.4 and lower. on 2.2.0 and higher linux 64bit works fine to but only windows not. Currently i can only use vmware.
          You can't use VMWare for judging if AMD-V is correctly enabled in the bios. It will fall back to software emulation (more accurately fall back to binary translation) upon a AMD-V failure. If you want to check to see if it is a BIOS issue or not and you have 64-bit windows installed try running the AMD Hyper-V ready test. It will accurately tell you if your system has a fully functional AMD-V bios or not.

You can see the bug report here.

and the test here:

Last edited by deanjo; 26 June 2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Its 100% an Bug in VirtualBox. I have say the Problem exsist since VirtualBox 2.2.X and only Windows guests are broken. About Software fallback this is only for 32bit Guests aviable and not for 64bit but my Linux 64bit guests works fine. About the Tool by AMD it say its enable and the Tool from Vmware say its enable and working. In the past all Windows 64bit are woking but after updating to VirtualBox 2.2.X they broken.

I know my english is horibile but i hope now its clear

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            You can't use VMWare for judging if AMD-V is correctly enabled in the bios. It will fall back to software emulation (more accurately fall back to binary translation) upon a AMD-V failure. If you want to check to see if it is a BIOS issue or not and you have 64-bit windows installed try running the AMD Hyper-V ready test. It will accurately tell you if your system has a fully functional AMD-V bios or not.

You can see the bug report here.

and the test here:

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_...ck_Utility.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
              The wine 3d code sun imported is just in their svn repository (see d3d8/d3d9/wined3d at http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/tr.../Graphics/Wine). They haven't done anything to our 3D code except for adding a sun license header to it. The libraries make use of all the wined3d to wgl porting I did and have done nothing special themselves except for bundling the dlls.

It would certainly be nice though if they would free some of their developers to work with us to improve WineD3D. It would help both Wine and VirtualBox a lot.
              OK OK yes you are all right, wasn't thinking, but yes if they make modification, it'd be nice for them to upload it back to Wine as well. Glad someone is keeping an eye on VB's file stores then just in case they forget about submitting any improvements back to the Wine project.

Comment

Working...
              X