Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 3.0 Beta 2 Brings SMP Performance Boosts

Phoronix: VirtualBox 3.0 Beta 2 Brings SMP Performance Boosts

Earlier this month VirtualBox 3.0 Beta 1 was introduced by Sun Microsystems, which brought OpenGL 2.0 support for virtualized guests along with SMP support for guest operating systems. There were other notable changes present too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wasnt there a news about fewer news beeing released?
    anyways, did anyone test the directx stuff?
    how well is it working?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
      anyways, did anyone test the directx stuff?
      how well is it working?
      It works for a few things but still pales in comparison to VMWares latest beta's as far as performance and compatibility with DX apps.

Comment

It would be pretty cool if Sun contributed patches back to WINE.

Does anyone know if they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          It would be pretty cool if Sun contributed patches back to WINE.

Does anyone know if they do?
          If vbox uses Wine libraries then they have to by copyright law. If you believe in that sort of thing.

Any way, good for playing old games but much more interested in OGL support as it's more open and not controlled by M$ who only have Windows compatibility motives at heart, not to mention other agendas...

Of course, OGL games can easily have native Linux clients any way, hence another reason for preferring OGL.

P.S.: Aww, the ad software on this site recognizes ads for M$ spelled out, but not "M$".

P.P.S. You should get rid of all your M$ ads as they have no place on a Linux website. I know their marketing department wants to pay you a lot for it but you should tell them to advertise elsewhere.
          Last edited by Yfrwlf; 25 June 2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            P.P.S. You should get rid of all your M$ ads as they have no place on a Linux website. I know their marketing department wants to pay you a lot for it but you should tell them to advertise elsewhere.
            why? let them fund Phoronix!

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              If vbox uses Wine libraries then they have to by copyright law. If you believe in that sort of thing.
              In this regards, doesn't the GPL just say that if you use or make changes to GPL code, you have to release the source?

What I meant was, it would be cool if SUn submitted patches back to WINE, so the fixes that Sun makes doesn't end only in Virtual Box.

Comment

And the Problem with Windows x64 Guest Systems still exsist since 2.2.X up to 3 http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...=18526&p=80463

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  And the Problem with Windows x64 Guest Systems still exsist since 2.2.X up to 3 http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...=18526&p=80463
                  Well XP64 guest's most certainly do boot fine in vbox (got it running in a X2, Phenom and Phenom II systems). The issue you are having here looks almost identical to one I experienced with vbox months back. Turned out (after many hours of long distance with Asus engineering) that the board I was using had a BIOS issue. AMD-V was "enabled" in the bios but would only work with the built in IGP. If a add in card was used it would disable the amd-v support but still say it was enabled in the bios settings. A BIOS update corrected it once the issue was found.

Comment

I tested Linux guest addons and those stopped working. Of course the correct ones installed. Anybody else with the same problem?

Comment

Working...
                    X