iD bought by ZeniMax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
    I dont recall them being hostile, more like indifferent. In any case afaik Zenimax doesnt put its companies on a tight leash. Oblivion was one of the very few recent games i recall that doesn't have copy protection on it's retail discs as well.
    Did you even need the CD Key for Fallout 3? I just remember using it for GFW Live.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
      Will they still publish id Tech 4 under the GPL?
      Good question, Im asking that myself too. Since they are now owned by Zenimax, and I dont know about them, but Bethesda does not care and probably has contempt about linux/FOSS, so it's a big question mark now. I dont know if it's relevant, but one time I emailed Bethesda's dev team's blog about possibly re-releasing Daggerfall for linux or releasing its source code, they quickly replied "We will NOT be releasing Daggerfall as a freeware or any other type of release at anytime." Looks like they didnt read any part of the question besides the word release.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Still applies. Considering Zenimax has never been kind to linux and now Carmack is no longer head dude future ports of even iD's games look bleak.
        from the official zenimax press release:

"id Software will continue to operate as a studio under the direction of its founder, John Carmack. No changes will be made in the operations of id Software in the development of its games. All the principals at id Software have signed long-term employment contracts, assuring they will continue in their roles developing games at the studio."

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          I think iD would remember the groin shot.
          +1

Good question, Im asking that myself too. Since they are now owned by Zenimax, and I dont know about them, but Bethesda does not care and probably has contempt about linux/FOSS, so it's a big question mark now. I dont know if it's relevant, but one time I emailed Bethesda's dev team's blog about possibly re-releasing Daggerfall for linux or releasing its source code, they quickly replied "We will NOT be releasing Daggerfall as a freeware or any other type of release at anytime." Looks like they didnt read any part of the question besides the word release.
          Bethesda is console pro company. They also messed up Fallout which is now more FPS than cRPG, but it's still a great game (thanks to Fallout universe). They probably don't even have idea what Open Source is or they're just doing us favor by no releasing DF, because Daggerfall is better known as buggerfall. Bethesda is definitely far from being 'By gamers for gamers' company. They don't even care what fans expect from their titles. They're rather marketing creatures.

Obsidian + iD this would be great.
          Last edited by kraftman; 25 June 2009, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
            from the official zenimax press release:

"id Software will continue to operate as a studio under the direction of its founder, John Carmack. No changes will be made in the operations of id Software in the development of its games. All the principals at id Software have signed long-term employment contracts, assuring they will continue in their roles developing games at the studio."
            Do you really believe press releases? Buy-outs almost never go the way the press release states, just look at what happened to Bioware yesterday. They were dissolved and merged with Mythic to form EA's new RPG division.

If this buy-out goes the way id's site states it might be a good thing as id will basically be self publishing, but until someone at id says something publicly about source releases and ports, I wouldn't plan on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Do you really believe press releases? Buy-outs almost never go the way the press release states, just look at what happened to Bioware yesterday. They were dissolved and merged with Mythic to form EA's new RPG division.

If this buy-out goes the way id's site states it might be a good thing as id will basically be self publishing, but until someone at id says something publicly about source releases and ports, I wouldn't plan on anything.
              Ahem, EA basically placed Mythic under Bioware's supervision is what happened. More here http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic....83419&forum=41

On-topic i don't see much in common between EA and Zenimax, the latter seems to have a much more hands-off approach regarding their studios. It might affect the open-sourcing of future ID engines though, but who knows at this point, probably not even John Carmack.
              Now Bethesda is a very good company imo that supports their games throughout their lifecycle not to mention the exceptional modding tools that they release with their games that helped create the excellent modding community they have. Granted Oblivion felt more like a sandbox rather than a real game, but add some of the community mods and the game world becomes a lot less stale.(I believe the game is that way by design). In any case playing Bethesda games on the console forces you to miss out on half the fun, so i wouldn't call that console friendly. They just develop for consoles as well these days as they are such a big market. As for Obsidian , besides beeing published by Atari their track record is anything but exceptional(particularly when talking about bugs). NWN2 is much more focused and less ambitious game than than ES3 and FO3, and build on established tools. But despite that it was a lot more buggy on release and still is buggy to a large degree.

Comment

NWN2 is much more focused and less ambitious game than than ES3 and FO3, and build on established tools. But despite that it was a lot more buggy on release and still is buggy to a large degree.
                NWN2 was a complete rewrite, everything from engine to tools were built from the ground up for it (or at least essentially re-wrote).
                Last edited by deanjo; 25 June 2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: added rephase in brackets

Comment

Ahem, EA basically placed Mythic under Bioware's supervision is what happened. More here http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic....83419&forum=41

On-topic i don't see much in common between EA and Zenimax, the latter seems to have a much more hands-off approach regarding their studios. It might affect the open-sourcing of future ID engines though, but who knows at this point, probably not even John Carmack.
                  Now Bethesda is a very good company imo that supports their games throughout their lifecycle not to mention the exceptional modding tools that they release with their games that helped create the excellent modding community they have. Granted Oblivion felt more like a sandbox rather than a real game, but add some of the community mods and the game world becomes a lot less stale.(I believe the game is that way by design). In any case playing Bethesda games on the console forces you to miss out on half the fun, so i wouldn't call that console friendly. They just develop for consoles as well these days as they are such a big market. As for Obsidian , besides beeing published by Atari their track record is anything but exceptional(particularly when talking about bugs). NWN2 is much more focused and less ambitious game than than ES3 and FO3, and build on established tools. But despite that it was a lot more buggy on release and still is buggy to a large degree.
                  I myself liked oblivion, but im not a dedicated rpg fan. Many established long time fans of the genre didnt like oblivion, saying it was too generic, too console friendly, fps with rpg elements and not an actual rpg, etc. I liked vanilla oblivion, but many say that it needs 30 or more gigs of mods to be a good interesting game. Techincally wise, the game is buggy. You can't alt-tab in oblivion without it crashing, for example. Like it was said, it's unclear what will the future be now for both of Zenimax's wholly owned studios, bethesda and id. Do they now own all id's source code? I hope not.

Comment

@Raven3x7

Don't even talk about bugs please. When I play Fallout 3 it sometimes returns to desktop few times per hour. Oblivion doesn't even start (some people recommend fresh xp install especially for it xd)! Bethesda makes the most buggy games... Fallout 3 interface reminds me consoles and each B game is more simplified then previous one (when comes to their fantasy titles and RPG system) which is console like behavior. NWN2 is definitely more ambitious then ES3 - wonderful D&D. However it sometimes reminds me hack and slash Btw. ES3, ES4 and F3 are great games in my opinion.
                    Last edited by kraftman; 27 June 2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                      Will they still publish id Tech 4 under the GPL?
                      well we will have to wait until rage would be release (next year) to see a possible GPL release. since Wolfenstein is using idtech4 v1.4 (the v1 means the original code (doom 3) and 4 means Id's 4th game with code modification).

Comment

Working...
                      X