No announcement yet.

iD bought by ZeniMax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while that is true - i actually thought the combat system in oblivion was overal better then morrowind

having a block button instead of random chance, as well as being able to cast spells mid combat were huge improvements.

Comment

These two things indeed are a good additional. But what does a good addition help you if the entire rest ( the majority of combat ) is send to hell? That's my main problem. That and unbalancing. In Morrowind you can play well as all kinds of characters which is after all what role playing is all about. In Oblivion you can only be successful as one kind of character as all others get bum fucked especially in higher levels where enemies are ridiculously lasting. Kills the role playing part since you have to play one sided or else you get nowhere without mods ( and therefore cheating ).

Besides... Horse Armor ( DLC ) killed games... and that shit grew on the Oblivion dunghill

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        These two things indeed are a good additional. But what does a good addition help you if the entire rest ( the majority of combat ) is send to hell? That's my main problem. That and unbalancing. In Morrowind you can play well as all kinds of characters which is after all what role playing is all about. In Oblivion you can only be successful as one kind of character as all others get bum fucked especially in higher levels where enemies are ridiculously lasting. Kills the role playing part since you have to play one sided or else you get nowhere without mods ( and therefore cheating ).

Besides... Horse Armor ( DLC ) killed games... and that shit grew on the Oblivion dunghill
        Since when are mods cheating?

Comment

sad as it is to say, i think he understand consumers - and as awefull as i think CSI and all the spinnoffs have become, they've always done pretty well in ratings.
          Yes, but is that reflecting on the content of the CSI shows or the fact that what the other channels are airing is worse by comparison?

all that aside - anyone claiming the Elderscrolls series as a whole is lacking in depth and substance is crazy.. at least in my opinion.
          Call me crazy, I don't see depth or substance in the Elder Scrolls games, just hack and slash sandbox action. There is not enough character development for me to develop an emotional attachment to either the story line quest or the world that I am supposed to be saving, unlike Bioware's games which usually have excellent character development which allows for an emotional attachment to the game world.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
            Since when are mods cheating?
            depends on the mod.... some very much are cheating, some are good additions to gameplay

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            Yes, but is that reflecting on the content of the CSI shows or the fact that what the other channels are airing is worse by comparison?
            valid question, though honestly, i think alot of people really are into entertainment with absolutely no depth... ratings would seem to strongly support that notion.

Call me crazy, I don't see depth or substance in the Elder Scrolls games, just hack and slash sandbox action. There is not enough character development for me to develop an emotional attachment to either the story line quest or the world that I am supposed to be saving, unlike Bioware's games which usually have excellent character development which allows for an emotional attachment to the game world.
            well, everyone is entitled to thier own opinions, i personally think morrowind has a great story line.

i suppose its a matter of whats important to you, to me the negative of oblivions combat system didn't bother me that much.

unbalancing is a very good point though.... and there are quite a few others to be made, which is why i completely agree morrowind is a far better game.
            Last edited by AdrenalineJunky; 30 June 2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
              depends on the mod.... some very much are cheating, some are good additions to gameplay

valid question, though honestly, i think alot of people really are into entertainment with absolutely no depth... ratings would seem to strongly support that notion.
              Sure some mods are cheats but that's not how i understood what dragonlord said. Oblivion is rather boring vanilla. It really becomes a good game only with some of the better mods. Also i dont really like the setting/story. Morrowind was so much better at that.

As for the second part, couldn't agree more. It's obvious a lot of ppl just want shallow storytelling
              Last edited by Raven3x7; 30 June 2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

i think you may be misinterpretting what he's trying to say

Kills the role playing part since you have to play one sided or else you get nowhere without mods ( and therefore cheating ).
                i take that to mean "unless you use mods in a way that is cheating, you cannot get anywhere unless you play a certian character"

though personally i'm not sure i would characterize using mods to balance the game as cheating, rather i'd say its fixing the game. as long as you don't take it too far, obviously.

Comment

Yes, the mods make Oblivion better but they can't save it. Some mods are cheats though like for example the bag of holding ( infinite inventory space ), Akatosh riding mod ( toast entire armies and if you get enough fly into the air since in the original game you can't go airborne so the AI doesn't know what to do ), various species mods giving you ridiculous stats turning you nearly godlike. Morrowind had that too of course. I played it too with the Ryukaissen species but only after I made it through with a legit character since the Ryu has immunity to fire and having some other rather "good" stats and skills. Picked it though just because it's a Ryu ( even though a furry one but let's forget about that quickly ) not because it makes the game too easy. For Oblivion though there are tons of mods which are overpowered even more than for Morrowind if my mind doesn't trick me. That's in general what I meant with cheating.

Comment

Working...
                  X