Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Gets A New Driver

Phoronix: Gallium3D Gets A New Driver

Last month we were excited over the release of a OpenVG state tracker and OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 state trackers for Gallium3D along with confirmation that OpenCL and OpenGL 3.1 state trackers are under development. Neither of these new state trackers have yet to arrive, but just committed to the Mesa repository is a new Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Neither of these new state trackers have yet to arrive,
    Don't you mean "both of these drivers have yet to arrive"?
    The double negative makes it sound as if they're already working, fully functional and merged :P

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      Don't you mean "both of these drivers have yet to arrive"?
      The double negative makes it sound as if they're already working, fully functional and merged :P
      OT but:

Where do you see the double negative? "Both" would imply "one AND the other". ""Neither" implies "one OR the other" .

Comment

also OT:
        "yet" means (afaik) that it has not happened yet. something has to happen in the future. i think this is what the second negative is, apart from "neither". I (not-native english speaker, as you can see) also have some problems with understanding some sentences.

Comment

Yeah I also thought that sentence sounds pretty weird, like they'd already be around. AFAIK you only use neither in a negating/negative sentence?
          I'd have put it this way: "Neither of these new state trackers has arrived yet."

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            also OT:
            "yet" means (afaik) that it has not happened yet. something has to happen in the future. i think this is what the second negative is, apart from "neither". I (not-native english speaker, as you can see) also have some problems with understanding some sentences.
            The "yet" was indeed what I see as the second negative.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
              The "yet" was indeed what I see as the second negative.
              So if someone was to say,

"I haven't seen a yeti yet." You would consider that a double negative?

Comment

I think you guys are getting hung up on the structure and not necessarily a double negative.

"Neither of these new state trackers have yet to arrive"

would have read better as such

"Neither of these new state trackers have arrived yet"

It's more an issue of confusing tense then a double negative.
                Last edited by deanjo; 24 June 2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

sweet no comment about the article itself xD
                  is this the grammarboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                    sweet no comment about the article itself xD
                    is this the grammarboard?
                    Sometimes, the grammar is more interesting then "No new news" articles.

Comment

Working...
                    X