No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's First 100 Paper Cuts, Some Bandaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely you could change the default action for an archive. The point is that most people just want to extract the archive. If you've more sophisticated needs, changing it isn't hard.

I plan on changing it back to file-roller myself, but I'm not going to complain because the distro isn't catering to my needs rather than those of its target audience.

Comment

Like someone said above, be careful,
      don't try to turn Linux Desktop into a Windows Copycat

Just because Windows does it this way does not mean we should take it as granted. Three confirms to delete a file is just ridiculous. We don't need another Windows, if we do, we'd rather just use Windows(tm) instead don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkfire Fox View Post
        Maybe I've simply missed it, but do you know what context-menu option I'd like to see for Thunar/Nautilus/Konqueror/Dolphin?

"Dump Folder Here"

Basically, it's like "Extract Archive Here", but instead of extracting the contents of an archive into the current folder, "Dump Folder Here" would basically empty the whole contents of a sub-folder into the current folder. (and then delete the sub-folder)

As far as I'm aware, no desktop environment under Linux, Mac, or Windows has this feature.

I guess you could try something like .. open a terminal, cd to the folder where you want to dump the sub-folder, then go: find /path/to/sub-folder/ -type f -exec mv '{}' . ';'

edit: the find example given is recursive, it'll essentially trash any folder structure under sub-folder. You'll get a flat list of files, and I'm not sure how it will tolerate files of the same names, probably overwrite?

That will dump every file in sub-folder (skipping folders) to the current folder.

While that's nowhere near as easy as two clicks, it still works. Perhaps you could put that in your nautilus scripts? I don't know how those work, so can't help there, sorry.

Comment

As long as I have the choice to making gnome behave one way or the other I can care less about the defaults. Making it one way or the highway... thats a problem. JMHO but just because Windows does something a certain way doesnt make it the wrong way. I like single-click rename so

Comment

Originally posted by diagonal_mambo View Post
            Surely you could change the default action for an archive. The point is that most people just want to extract the archive. If you've more sophisticated needs, changing it isn't hard.

I plan on changing it back to file-roller myself, but I'm not going to complain because the distro isn't catering to my needs rather than those of its target audience.
            Huh? I wasn't talking about extracting archives, I was talking about dumping the whole contents of one folder into another folder.

Or were you replying to Game_Boy's post?

Comment

Working...
            X