Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Defaults To Intel Kernel Mode-Setting

Phoronix: Ubuntu Defaults To Intel Kernel Mode-Setting

Canonical's X.Org guy, Bryce Harrington, has announced the switch to using Intel kernel mode-setting by default beginning with the new Linux 2.6.30 kernel update that was just committed to the Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" repository. Cheers! For those unfamiliar with what Intel kernel mode-setting means or would like more information, check out the mailing list announcement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So all people enjoying decent graphcis drivers (movies/compiz/gaming) are screwed by default in the next version?

Comment

This refers to

But i still have to test what happens when the xserver/driver is too old for kms.

Comment

It makes my system unbootable with the latest kernel update. So beware to everyone not having a intel gfx card. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Comment

Without intel card the change has nothing to do with it. Do you have got a saa7146 card in your pc?

lspci -nn|grep 7146

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Without intel card the change has nothing to do with it. Do you have got a saa7146 card in your pc?

lspci -nn|grep 7146
            No. To be fair it fails with busybox. If I just exit that it continues to boot. Others have reported that that doesn't happen if you disable modesetting.

Comment

Working...
            X