HDMI tearing and fontsize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    If you are running in clone mode, (i.e, both outputs scanning out the same image or part of the image), you can only sync to one crtc or the other; not both.
    Argh, okay, this explains it. Is there some way to maybe in future allow this if both output devices run at the same refresh rate (which is the case over here)? How to specify which one to use for vsync? Is there a way to dynamically switch it?

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
      Argh, okay, this explains it. Is there some way to maybe in future allow this if both output devices run at the same refresh rate (which is the case over here)? How to specify which one to use for vsync? Is there a way to dynamically switch it?
      It currently syncs to which ever crtc more of the image is on. For now, you can just specify that crtc 0 drives the head you want no tearing on with xrandr (e.g., crtc0 drives HMDI or crtc0 drives DVI and crtc 1 drives the other output). Alternatively, one could add an Xv attribute to select which crtc the image is synced pretty easily.

I will also just work if you use the same crtc to drive both outputs, however, in that case both outputs have to be drawn using the same timing and must be at the same framebuffer offset which wouldn't work with your current setup since you have an offset on one crtc.

Another alternative would be to set up dualhead (desktop spread across both monitors) and run the videos on one head or the other.

Comment

It currently syncs to which ever crtc more of the image is on. For now, you can just specify that crtc 0 drives the head you want no tearing on with xrandr (e.g., crtc0 drives HMDI or crtc0 drives DVI and crtc 1 drives the other output). Alternatively, one could add an Xv attribute to select which crtc the image is synced pretty easily.
        Hmm, such an attribute might be a nice addition in the future.

I will also just work if you use the same crtc to drive both outputs, however, in that case both outputs have to be drawn using the same timing and must be at the same framebuffer offset which wouldn't work with your current setup since you have an offset on one crtc.
        If both were at the same position (okay, pretty bad since this way always 120 pixel at the bottom were missing...), how to setup this, is there some example setup documented somewhere?

Another alternative would be to set up dualhead (desktop spread across both monitors) and run the videos on one head or the other.
        Ahh, you know, this I don't really want. The main thing is that atm I can relax on my bed, use the remote to toggle fullscreen in the media player and just have a short look at the latest stuff in irc without having to get up.

Thanks for your replies and clarifying that tearfree video is not really possible (unless some very specific circumstances are met) when using clone mode.

Comment

I think agd5f said that for now you could accomplish the same thing as the attribute by associating the output you are watching with crtc0 using xrandr.

I'm not sure what the exact commands are, unfortunately.
          Test signature

Comment

You can toggle the crtc used to drive each output using the --crtc option with xrandr. xrandr --verbose will show you which crtc is driving which output. One crtc can also drive more than one output assuming both monitors support the exact same modeline. As bridgman noted, selecting which crtc drives which output has the same effect as an Xv attribute, its just not as convenient. If need be you can use xrandr to add the appropriate modeline to the other monitor. See this page for more info on xrandr:

Additionally the xrandr man page has a documentation on how to use xrandr.

Comment

I have been using the tips here in this forum to get my 1st ATI card working in Linux...

I have successful HDMI audio and video working with the radeonhd driver, but I need a virtual desktop larger that the supported max (2 1080p displays)..

Is this possible with xrandr, or am I going to have to go back to 2 separate desktops to accomplish this? I rather like dragging between physical screens now that I have experienced it.

Thanks

-Greg

Comment

Originally posted by ghost_o View Post
                I have been using the tips here in this forum to get my 1st ATI card working in Linux...

I have successful HDMI audio and video working with the radeonhd driver, but I need a virtual desktop larger that the supported max (2 1080p displays)..

Is this possible with xrandr, or am I going to have to go back to 2 separate desktops to accomplish this? I rather like dragging between physical screens now that I have experienced it.

Thanks

-Greg
                The max surface/texture size on r6xx/r7xx is 8k. Just set a virtual parameter in your config for a screen as large as you need. Allocating desktop space for dualhead is manual right now. this is one of the things that the kms/mm code addresses. See this page for more info:

Comment

Hi everyone

I'm sorry I couldn't write earlier (I was in holidays and didn't have any access to the Internet).
                  I no longer have any issue regarding the tearing. Indeed the solution lies in the crt option. Most tips came from the IRC (many thanks to Zajec and agd5f).

Only the crtc0 can be tear-free so we need to switch. This is done (in my case) by the following command:

Code:
                  xrandr --output PANEL --crtc 1 --mode 1440x900 --output DVI-D_1 --crtc 0 --mode 1920x1080
                  Beware of the order
                  Last edited by OrangeOne; 18 July 2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X