Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's First Ten Paper Cuts Spotted

Phoronix: Ubuntu's First Ten Paper Cuts Spotted

With the release of Ubuntu 9.10, which is due out this October, Canonical and the Ubuntu developers hope to fix at least 100 "paper cuts" on the Ubuntu Linux desktop. Paper cuts are rather trivial usability bugs that are small, but in one way or another could impair the Linux desktop or increase the burden placed on a new Linux user ever so slightly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All I can say is awesome. The little 'paper cuts' can add up to causing severe bleeding I always wondered how long the 'trivial' bugs would be swept under the carpet. I dont know about anyone else but Im greatly looking forward to Karmic.

Comment

Another small step towards humanity.

Comment

Dimming file icons?... Gnome doesn't have that?...Wow.

I use Thunar from time to time but couldn't tell you if they have dimming stuff or not. Most of my file management is done through ls, mkdir, mv, ln, and cp.

Are these changes going directly into gnome or does Ubuntu keep them for themselves?

Comment

It would be a tweaked gnome package. Keep it for themselves? This ain't MS or Apple..hehe I'm sure if the tweaks are solid they'd make it upstream in gnome itself or at least trickle in other distros' gnome packages.

Comment

This is an awesome move, it would be cool if we destroyed all of the useless distributions and programs, get everybody, apply arete, and work together to make good crap suck less.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              Another small step towards humanity.
              And one giant leap for new users.

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              This is an awesome move, it would be cool if we destroyed all of the useless distributions and programs, get everybody, apply arete, and work together to make good crap suck less.
              One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Comment

For KDE / Kubuntu http://weblog.obso1337.org/2009/100-...s-and-kubuntu/

Comment

I thought that Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) would 'only' feature the Linux 2.6.30 kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamester17 View Post
                    I thought that Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) would 'only' feature the Linux 2.6.30 kernel?
                    They just include the latest kernel up to a certain point.

Comment

Working...
                    X