Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenArena?

Comment

I've gotta be a bit more careful with what I write in my emails to people evidently Didn't expect to see them all posted up here.

Thanks for the interest anyway guys, we're working hard to get a good game out this summer and you will be able to get hold of it one way or another. And hopefully it won't segfault all over the place like it currently does

For the record the platform listing will be our fault, not Valve's, since we filled out the info for that page.

Cheers

Alex (Dyson dev team)

Comment

dum dum dum

another Phoronix post bites the dust

dum dum dum

another Phoronix post bites the dust

Comment

Originally posted by haowan View Post
          I've gotta be a bit more careful with what I write in my emails to people evidently Didn't expect to see them all posted up here.

Thanks for the interest anyway guys, we're working hard to get a good game out this summer and you will be able to get hold of it one way or another. And hopefully it won't segfault all over the place like it currently does

For the record the platform listing will be our fault, not Valve's, since we filled out the info for that page.

Cheers

Alex (Dyson dev team)
          Nice another linux game!

Comment

Originally posted by haowan View Post

Cheers

Alex (Dyson dev team)
            Looking forward to it and thanks for releasing for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
              Why is it only gay star trek nerd games come to Linux.

I want to shoot bitches with a sawed off 12-gauge and see the blood!!!! not some retarded ET from Mars
              There are quite a few games for Linux that have guns and blood and stuff.
              Doom series
              Quake series
              Unreal
              Americas Army

Comment

While it's great that you can run Windows games on Linux using Wine and Mono, I guess, it would of course be much better if truly free APIs were supported/promoted/evolved/created/etc so that Linux users could run more "native" Linux games. The Windows APIs were designed for Windows and are controlled by Microsoft, they don't have Linux's best intentions at heart let's just say, so I'll be happier supporting the games which use APIs that are created and/or controlled by much more neutral and Linux-friendly parties.

But, any game for Linux is a win for Linux, it's just too bad that Wine games are a win for MS as well.

Comment

"Okay, so it doesn't exactly sound like the next best game or as great as Counter-Strike: Source or Half-Life 2"

Hopefully that comment was directed at it not being as deep/complex/involved/entertaining/long as HL2 and CS, and not just cuz it's not a 3D-shooter. That having been said, sometimes some games which are quite "simple" can also bring ### hours of entertainment to one's life as well.

Comment

And to add to the actual story, I wouldn't doubt Steam coming to Linux, many games in their "portal" have Linux versions as noted already, but Valve was just really stupid in using the Windows GUI/Explorer/IE/etc libraries to create what is just a customized version of IE that loads their website and ties in with the system so that upon clicking on a game the user can install it in Windows easily. They should have used actual web and cross-platform standards from the get-go so that they could release "Steam" for other platforms in the future. Someone at Valve clearly screwed up.

I just say "Steam" because again, it's just a freaking website loading in IE plus a resident program to act as DRM, there's nothing special about it really, Firefox *could* be used as "Steam" but simply lacks the Windows software installer hook. And the DRM. Why doesn't anyone talk about the DRM any way? If I can't even play a single player game without connecting to their Steam servers and asking for permission, that definitely helps take the wind from my sails.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                      "Okay, so it doesn't exactly sound like the next best game or as great as Counter-Strike: Source or Half-Life 2"

Hopefully that comment was directed at it not being as deep/complex/involved/entertaining/long as HL2 and CS, and not just cuz it's not a 3D-shooter. That having been said, sometimes some games which are quite "simple" can also bring ### hours of entertainment to one's life as well.
                      Since when is HL2 or CS "deep", "involved" or "entertaining" ( long is anyways no measurement for an MP game )?

Comment

Working...
                      X