Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Memory Security For Radeon DRM

Phoronix: Improved Memory Security For Radeon DRM

Yesterday the TTM memory manager and Radeon kernel mode-setting code entered the mainline Linux kernel Git tree, which means it will be part of the next Linux 2.6.31 kernel release. In the 2.6.31 series this new Radeon driver will be marked as "staging" as there is still some work left to be accomplished and further testing needs to be done with this driver and different Radeon graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dear Phoronix,

Can you please link to some mail archive other than the abomination that is sourceforge? Much appreciates - an anonymous user.

Personally, I find gmane to be much more readable. and faster.

Comment

Seconded. Gmane is so much easier to read, sourceforge could only be the worst choice for a link.

Edit: adding the link:
      http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp....ri.devel/36435
      Last edited by susikala; 18 June 2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Couldn't be bothered looking for it in gmane, but here you go:

Comment

when can we expect kms for r600-r700 to enter the kernel?

Comment

The pacing item here is memory management for 6xx-7xx. We may need to release some additional HW info in order to finish memory management (specifically interrupts), not sure but looking into it.

It's probably safe to say "either 2.6.31 or 2.6.32" but hard to be more precise.
            Test signature

Comment

it's very subjective which parts should be developed earlier:

for me it's definitely not KMS

any info when additional power management support or improvements will be added to the xf86-video-ati or radeonhd driver ?

currently my box is getting warmer several degrees (centigrade) which also implies higher power consumption compared to fglrx/catalyst, for several people there's also the problem of fast spinning fans which is unacceptable

I know that 3D surely still takes a while for R600 or R700 but at least proper power management should be there

(even without DRI it's already faster than fglrx during 2D operations )

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                it's very subjective which parts should be developed earlier: for me it's definitely not KMS

any info when additional power management support or improvements will be added to the xf86-video-ati or radeonhd driver
                Here's the problem - additional power management support really needs to go in the kernel on top of KMS. The next real step in power management is dynamic adjustment of clocks and voltage, and that requires hooks into both modesetting and 2D/3D acceleration. The only place all that information comes together is in the kernel with KMS running, so that's where the power management code needs to go.

It is certainly possible to build additional protocols to pass modesetting info from a userspace driver down to the kernel, but since KMS is already in progress none of the devs thing it's worth implementing a throw-away solution in userspace.

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                currently my box is getting warmer several degrees (centigrade) which also implies higher power consumption compared to fglrx/catalyst, for several people there's also the problem of fast spinning fans which is unacceptable
                Are you already using ForceLowPowerMode and related options ?
                Last edited by bridgman; 18 June 2009, 05:59 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Have you tried the power management stuff in xf86-video-ati master and it isn't good enough?

I think the kernel MM is important to do ASAP because almost everything else they're doing right now relies on it working first. Power management can get tacked on at any time.

Comment

3% ? That's nothing. 100% that's a big deal.

Actually I wonder where we are going in graphics. It is easy to think of things to use CPU power for, but what happens when we have GPU's that can do Lord of the Rings type of graphics real time?

Physics doesn't scale like graphics does. If you do physics that effect game play, you have to simulate it all the time. E.g. it would be bad if you knocked some boxes over, and they land in one way if you look at then, and if you turn around, while they fall, they land in a different way

So I think we will get GPU's that can do very close LotR movie quality in the next generation of GPU's.

I say "Lord of the Rings movie quality is enough for anyone", so let's just burn some percentages off on security

Comment

Working...
                    X