No announcement yet.

Mobility Radeon HD 3870 / M88 drivers... :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "you have to run with 2GB for the rest of your life", but some BIOSes do muck up the memory mapping (MTRRs) with >=4GB. Reducing the memory to 3GB or less, either using the mem= boot parm or popping some memory, is an easy way to find if that is your problem.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Just to be clear, I'm not saying "you have to run with 2GB for the rest of your life", but some BIOSes do muck up the memory mapping (MTRRs) with >=4GB. Reducing the memory to 3GB or less, either using the mem= boot parm or popping some memory, is an easy way to find if that is your problem.
      I see. If it turns out to be the BIOS, can I just flash it with a version that isn't retarded?

Comment

Originally posted by Poop Loops View Post
        I see. If it turns out to be the BIOS, can I just flash it with a version that isn't retarded?
        The thread I linked to describes how to have the kernel fix up the mtrrs if the bios fails to set them up properly. Whether or not a new bios will fix the issue probably depends on the vendor and how windows behaves with regard to the mtrr setup.

Comment

Cool, I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X