Spux - native vent client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spux - native vent client

"Spux is a VOIP client that implements the Ventrilo 3.0 protocol and is strictly for Linux. The project is open source and currently under development by a community of programmers. Upon completion Spux will allow users to join and communicate with other users on Ventrilo servers."

To quote the dev:

"I thought i'd update the forum users of where "spux is at" development wise.

You can view the roadmap at: http://trac.spuxproject.net/trac/spux/roadmap

As you can see, we are unfortunately rather behind schedule... But that has been due to various complications and is of no fault of the development team.

Currently, we at a sort pre-pre-alpha stage. Although pre-alpha has not been officially announced/released, we are rapidly approaching it. I don't want to say too much, because then I might be inaccurate and give you false information, but pre-alpha shouldn't be too far off.

I'm sure you can imagine that contributions are very important at this stage of development, especially in the QA area. So if you have been waiting for the perfect moment to get contributing, now is probably your time.

If you have anymore questions please join us on #spux (irc.freenode.net)."

Hopefully this is eventually a vent client which actually works :P

Comment

*creams ones pants*

Its about bloody time!@!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Hopefully this is eventually a vent client which actually works :P
        as of 06.16.2009 @ aproximately 3am EST, the first VOIP conversation using the spux client took place utilizing the speex codec. current issues at this point are:
        -pulseaudio issues in distros that have implemented it(and probably shouldn't have but hey they said the same thing about kde4 and look how that went)
        -on many vent servers, attempting to change channels causes a disconnect from the server(Server Closed Socket errors)
        -Push To Talk(PTT) hotkeys have not yet been implemented
        -no GSM codec support just yet

If you can code and you'd like to have a native vent client for linux, i urge you to please come and contribute to the project. If you can't code, then please, come help with testing and submitting bug reports and debug info.

And please, spread the word. Tell a friend to tell a friend. Make spux a reality for us. Your contributions can help to make that happen faster.

Comment

in my brain i know ventrillo will try to take credit for this or they will move to a newer version. In my heart I know I should support this because such a program has a very noble goal.

its kind of torn between using vent and supporting vent. With their blatant lies when it comes to linux it is very hard to want to rent another vent server .

That said, this initiative is a pot of good .

Comment

Originally posted by justsumdood View Post
            If you can code and you'd like to have a native vent client for linux, i urge you to please come and contribute to the project. If you can't code, then please, come help with testing and submitting bug reports and debug info.
            Can code: Yes. Can help: No. Got my own epic project to attend to so I've little to no time left for other things at the time being. But I would not go for PulseAudio. Not sure why people are so fond of that in the shape it is right now.

Comment

Can code: Yes. Can help: No. Got my own epic project to attend to so I've little to no time left for other things at the time being. But I would not go for PulseAudio. Not sure why people are so fond of that in the shape it is right now.
              not sure as to why folks are so fond of kde4 either(distro maintainers that is), but they sure did go ahead and start using it. and as a kde fanboy i gotta say i don't care for kde4 at all.

in my brain i know ventrillo will try to take credit for this or they will move to a newer version. In my heart I know I should support this because such a program has a very noble goal.

its kind of torn between using vent and supporting vent. With their blatant lies when it comes to linux it is very hard to want to rent another vent server .

That said, this initiative is a pot of good .
              At this point, i don't really care how the Ventrilo developer feels, i only know that i have been waiting on the order of almost 3 years for a linux client and i'm sick of fiddling with WINE.

To me, WINE is both a poor solution and a poor excuse. It's a poor solution to making software run in an environment certain developers are sometimes downright hostile towards, and it's a poor excuse for other certain developers to use to NOT port their applications(hey it works great in WINE, but hey we won't offer you support on that software you paid for if you do so).

Myself, i am not opposed to running "proprietary software" on linux. i just want it natively.

Yes i'm almost certain the Ventrilo dev will make the next version of the server "break" spux. And the spux team will fix it. And at that point there will be an arms race. but maybe, just maybe, instead of "breaking" spux, said developer might be spurred to get off his duff and finally offer a competing client on our chosen Operating System.

Comment

agreed

Its also fair to note that its been alot longer then 3 years they have been promising a client. I have asked them on several occasions to drop the "in development" line and cut the bullshit. I am not alone on this. But who's listening? Meh, they worse then the f#$%'n government .

Comment

Originally posted by justsumdood View Post
                  not sure as to why folks are so fond of kde4 either(distro maintainers that is), but they sure did go ahead and start using it. and as a kde fanboy i gotta say i don't care for kde4 at all.
                  Never said that. How you get to that impression?

Comment

Never said that. How you get to that impression?
                    But I would not go for PulseAudio. Not sure why people are so fond of that in the shape it is right now.
                    I was making a comparison of the sorry state of kde4, and yet distros pushed it out anyway. Just as they pushed out PulseAudio despite it's sorry state as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X