Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Quote Originally Posted by kensai View Post
    At least NVIDIAs closed source driver is so good that you don;t even wish for an open source one.
    It is better, for sure, but I have wished it was open at least once (with a horrible bug not freezing my machine on logout by using KDM. I had to switch to GDM in Kubuntu because of this. This is documented in launchpad, and it could never fixed (because it is closed source).

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.
    "The grass is always greener where the dogs are sh!tt!ing."

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    It is better, for sure, but I have wished it was open at least once ... Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.
    I second that. My laptop keeps making the screen a mess when it is on battery...

Quote Originally Posted by bojo42 View Post
    oh no, the worst issue ever:
    "System may stop responding when running Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory"

so even if i can have 3D on a 780g with the driver, i might not be able to use it for the only true reason
    I also have a 780G. Why don't you just use the 3200HD driver?

Don't flame me. I am asking, because I don't know the answer
    Last edited by Louise; 06-15-2009 at 05:29 PM.

What the fuck! They said that that 9.6 would have support for 2.6.29, yet they FAIL to deliver on their promises ONCE AGAIN! I don't know what the fuck AMD's graphic driver development team has been doing all these months, but maybe they need a pay cut to encourage them to actually get work done. Seriously, this is ridiculous. Once again I will state that AMD needs to be sued for not providing a working product, since the hardware is useless without properly working drivers. And thus be forced to provide full refunds to all those with damages. After all, that's EXACTLY what they've done to those with X1000 and before. At the very LEAST they need to be forced to release the full source code since it does not contain anything that cannot be learned by disassembling the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by LavosPhoenix View Post
    What the fuck! They said that that 9.6 would have support for 2.6.29, yet they FAIL to deliver on their promises ONCE AGAIN!
    Uhm, when has AMD/ATI ever promised this? There was noone officially stating that the 9.6 release will have 2.6.29 support. There were many users speculating that it would be about time, but no single time any AMD/ATI official stated that this support would be included.

I am sick of those drivers and I will never buy ATI again even if 3d and KMS support will be added to open source drivers. I preffer Intel and Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by LavosPhoenix View Post
    What the fuck! They said that that 9.6 would have support for 2.6.29, yet they FAIL to deliver on their promises ONCE AGAIN! I don't know what the fuck AMD's graphic driver development team has been doing all these months, but maybe they need a pay cut to encourage them to actually get work done. Seriously, this is ridiculous. Once again I will state that AMD needs to be sued for not providing a working product, since the hardware is useless without properly working drivers. And thus be forced to provide full refunds to all those with damages. After all, that's EXACTLY what they've done to those with X1000 and before. At the very LEAST they need to be forced to release the full source code since it does not contain anything that cannot be learned by disassembling the driver.
    Who said that and when did they say that? I never heard AMD making any promisses about future driver releases. And did you really expect that they'd support a new kernel? You guys should know better by now... the first driver to support 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 will be 9.10, because thats when Ubuntu 9.10 gets released. So it will probably be a beta driver for Ubuntu. Don't expect these things earlier...

I'm getting a bit sick of all those people whining each month. AMD did lots of work to improve the situation over the last few years and in my opinion they definately succeeded. I agree the driver is not that good as nvidia's one, but it certainly does its work in most cases. Besides that, they opened up every possible document to write open source drivers. You guys really should applaud AMD for that, really... this is a huge step and most people posting here don't seem to appreciate that.

Every month the little dogs start yapping. It's hilarious really.

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    Who said that and when did they say that? I never heard AMD making any promisses about future driver releases. And did you really expect that they'd support a new kernel? You guys should know better by now... the first driver to support 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 will be 9.10, because thats when Ubuntu 9.10 gets released. So it will probably be a beta driver for Ubuntu. Don't expect these things earlier...

I'm getting a bit sick of all those people whining each month. AMD did lots of work to improve the situation over the last few years and in my opinion they definately succeeded. I agree the driver is not that good as nvidia's one, but it certainly does its work in most cases. Besides that, they opened up every possible document to write open source drivers. You guys really should applaud AMD for that, really... this is a huge step and most people posting here don't seem to appreciate that.
    Yes I am with you 100%.

In fact AMD is opening their drivers, which nVidia doesn't.

We are in a very existing time right now, where AMD is changing how graphics is done on Linux. Forever.

To those that complain: Don't you think you are being just a little bit too egoistic?

No one have ever done what AMD is doing to Linux right now. Just imagine how much money and risk AMD is putting into Linux, to give us what we really want. Open Source drivers, and in the long run NEVER have to download or think about GFX drivers again. It just works out-of-the-box.