AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another useless driver,

- No support for kernel 2.6.29 or 2.6.30.
    - Legacy GPUs code is still there though disabled making the download too big and not letting legacy users enjoy this code while it is still there, what a selfish bunch.
    -No support for Linux yet, just three outdated distributions.

Guys, I can go as far as to say that kernel 2.6.30 or .31 for that matter, support will be added by the 9.9 if we are lucky or 9.10 release.

Yesterday I was still an AMD supporter even though I hated ATI. Today, I hate AMD and ATI. Is so sad, I won't buy AMD and even less ATI anymore.

Comment

@JeanPaul145: you can grab it here: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run

Comment

I just would like to know:

"Why?!"

You got one month to prepare good working driver with support, many people was even giving code to support new kernel's but no. This driver should be called 'Catalyst for stable/old Ubuntu', not Catalyst for Linux. You do not support stable kernels, you do not support alpha kernels. Then what the hell you support?

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
          It seems AMD is aware of that. Catalyst 9.6 isn't even available for download yet.
          Just replace 9-5 by 9-6 in the URL for the download ...

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
            Just replace 9-5 by 9-6 in the URL for the download ...
            Yeah between that post and this one they changed it. I'm installing it right now, wondering in what wonderful ways the June '09 edition of fglrx will disappoint me.

EDIT: I see the whole xorg-server-patch-removal-causing-terrible-delays-on-unminimizing-windows thing hasn't been cleared up yet. Back to Metacity for me.

I must say, I'm getting mighty tired of always wondering what functionality will get broken with my AMD card, and then not getting timely fixes for that breakage once it happens.if this keeps up my next gfx card (admittedly more than a year or two away) will come from the stables of Nvidia.

@the AMD execs: I get the whole professional-businesses-make-us-money thing, but don't forget about the Linux desktop people please. Unreleased UVD2 code, mediocre performance on high-end gfx cards, updates barely even worth updating to (and getting less so every month)... This is the reward we get for buying an AMD gfx card. If you have a shortage of manpower, just hire more people. Don't give us the economic crisis excuse (developers don't cost *THAT* much, just fire a couple of execs with poor job performance reviews or something...), just listen to your customers. All of them.
            P.S.: I'm fully aware of the FOSS drivers, but those don't really currently help those of us with an R600/R700 card now do they
            Last edited by JeanPaul145; 15 June 2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

That's nice. We've been all asking for Open Source graphics drivers and open specs for years. Now that AMD/ATI do it, we flame them. How cool are we?

Granted, NVIDIA's binary only support is better as such, so I would probably by an NVIDIA card in the short term if that;s the only thing going (and I've been _this_ close to doing it a lil ago out of frustration with ati + ubuntu 9.04).

But in the long run ATI and Intel are the way to go. And we should be respectful of them for doing the right thing.

Comment

That's nice. We've been all asking for Open Source graphics drivers and open specs for years. Now that AMD/ATI do it, we flame them. How cool are we?

Granted, NVIDIA's binary only support is better as such, so I would probably by an NVIDIA card in the short term if that;s the only thing going (and I've been _this_ close to doing it a lil ago out of frustration with ati + ubuntu 9.04).

But in the long run ATI and Intel are the way to go. And we should be respectful of them for doing the right thing.
                But providing open specs and drivers didn't fix any problems so of course people are still mad. Things are supposed to be instantly better when you do that.

Comment

[...]

Their open source driver is a trash for rx600 cards and above, and their closed source drivers is a trash. So, am I going to be happy with buying something that doesn't work as it should because the company that makes it doesn;t even know how to make a driver for it.

At least NVIDIAs closed source driver is so good that you don;t even wish for an open source one.

Comment

If you're still using fglrx, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Everytime I see a new AMD fglrx release I start to laugh... and I can't stop. AMD Catalyst isn't a driver, it's a joke or just a bad dream.

Comment

Working...
                      X